MBA 2013 i5 or i7 - Fan noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by webstarcool, Jun 18, 2013.

1. webstarcool macrumors member

I have an MBA 2012 (i7/8GB/256) and have to admit I have been pretty disappointed with the fan noise since I received it around a year ago. Doesn't take a whole lot of work on from a simple running program or two before the fan starts kicking in. And it keeps on going.

In a lot of the the threads here there are mentions of speed, but not so much about heat and fan noise. Since the MBA 2012 i7 was noisy like a jet, I'm wondering how the new Haswell 2013 MBA would do.

- Are they running cooler than the 2012 MBAs?
    - Is there any difference with fan speed with the Haswell i5 and i7?
    - Anyone noticing fans kicking in with their new MBA?

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The total power draw (TDP) on both the i5 and i7 is, I believe 15 watts. So, they should not only run "cooler" than the previous generation but the battery life should be similar between the two.

3. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I can't really offer any comparison as our 13" i7/8/128 MBA is the first MBA in our family, but the only time the fan has kicked on so far was when playing Minecraft. To my ears it was/is surprisingly loud, at least compared to my 17" i5 Windows laptop. However, the fan on my laptop runs a lot more often than the fan in the MBA.

I've a question - where does the fan vent? There is no grille anywhere...

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Its behind the hinge. Big opening there for the fan