MBA 2013 i5 or i7 - Fan noise?

webstarcool

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
SFO
I have an MBA 2012 (i7/8GB/256) and have to admit I have been pretty disappointed with the fan noise since I received it around a year ago. Doesn't take a whole lot of work on from a simple running program or two before the fan starts kicking in. And it keeps on going.

In a lot of the the threads here there are mentions of speed, but not so much about heat and fan noise. Since the MBA 2012 i7 was noisy like a jet, I'm wondering how the new Haswell 2013 MBA would do.

- Are they running cooler than the 2012 MBAs?
- Is there any difference with fan speed with the Haswell i5 and i7?
- Anyone noticing fans kicking in with their new MBA?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
The total power draw (TDP) on both the i5 and i7 is, I believe 15 watts. So, they should not only run "cooler" than the previous generation but the battery life should be similar between the two.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California
I can't really offer any comparison as our 13" i7/8/128 MBA is the first MBA in our family, but the only time the fan has kicked on so far was when playing Minecraft. To my ears it was/is surprisingly loud, at least compared to my 17" i5 Windows laptop. However, the fan on my laptop runs a lot more often than the fan in the MBA.

I've a question - where does the fan vent? There is no grille anywhere...

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I can't really offer any comparison as our 13" i7/8/128 MBA is the first MBA in our family, but the only time the fan has kicked on so far was when playing Minecraft. To my ears it was/is surprisingly loud, at least compared to my 17" i5 Windows laptop. However, the fan on my laptop runs a lot more often than the fan in the MBA.

I've a question - where does the fan vent? There is no grille anywhere...
Its behind the hinge. Big opening there for the fan