MBA 2013 Keeps Crashing with HDMI Cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lina231, Apr 5, 2014.

1. lina231 macrumors regular

Hi all,

Its been awhile since I've been on here! Ive recently decided to use a spare 19'' TV that I was not using as an extra monitor for my computer, and it has been working like a dream. There is just one problem that I have that really has nothing to do with the screen itself but I guess you could say the adapter. The screen is connected to my computer with an HDMI cable, which is connected to my Thunderbolt mini display port HDMI adapter. When I plug the adapter into my thunderbolt port it crashes my computer. I am connecting it the wrong way? The HDMI cable is already connected to the adapter when I plug it into my MBA. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

I just don't want my computer to continuously crash every time I plug the adapter into my computer.

Thanks

2. lina231 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

4. lina231 thread starter macrumors regular

Hello,

Sorry I have not been able to respond to you as my mac had completely died. Literally died. To spare you the entire story I will give you the brief version.

So since I had no replies on that post, I called apple. We ended up fixing the problem by doing a reset. The computer was working fine until the next day. The next day I was trying to open up my powerpoint application which was essentially "running away" from me. As the technician and I were troubleshooting this issue my mac continuously started crashing. We finally got it to stop crashing and was able to get to the login screen. I would try to log in and the screen would go blue, white, and back to the login screen. After extensively troubleshooting this new problem, which wasn't even the original problem I was then transferred. After doing more troubleshooting, (would not even let me login in safe boot, typed in some weird computer codes into the black screen when white letters and numbers) the technician decided that it was time to take it somewhere. Now, mind you I am at school and the closest apple store is about 3 hours away. They then referred me to a local apple certified service provider. I took it there, and they said it was a software problem, so they did a wipe/reinstall of OS X.

I got it back on tuesday. It booted up in the computer store, so I took it home and was actually in the process of calling apple to restore my backups back onto my computer. As I was doing this the computer was completely unresponsive. It would not turn on, I tried pressing the space key, opening and closing the clamshell, and holding in the power button. Since I had the technician on the phone we again did troubleshooting and he got the computer to boot up again.

By that time I had had enough, I told them that I have been having this problem since I have received the mac (Ive had a lot of black screen issues), you can refer to my previous threads to get the entire story on that. I have had my logic board, trackpad, and IPD cables replaced, and had done a previous wipe/reinstall within 3 months of getting my mac and it was still showing the same symptoms. So as you might guess, the fact that I had just got my computer back i WAS ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS. All of my school work, research proposals, notes, study guides etc. were on that computer, they erased my hard drive because that was the problem and now it apparently wasn't.

After I had gotten the macbook to work I talked to multiple senior advisors. Since they repaired it STILL doesn't work. I can get it to boot up occasionally, once it is on if you shut the clamshell and open it again it is completely unresponsive. I didn't even get a chance to put my backups on it. So they advised me to take it back to the computer store, which I did. I was able to reproduce the problem in front of the technicians in which they then ran diagnostics for the second time in two days. Everything passed. It wasn't a software problem because the hard drive was erased and I did not put any of my information in it. I called apple, apple called those technicians, and after four days of not being able to access any of my documents and not meeting any of my deadlines they FINALLY agreed to send me a replacement.

Apparently this macbook is one huge mystery.

This was my first, and because of this experience, probably my last macbook that I will purchase. I have had a toshiba (that still runs when plugged in since the battery is shot, its just a little slow) for 6+ years and have never experienced any problems with it. :mad:

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I'm sorry to hear this. But IMO this is rare. I think most people don't experience this. Before you switch back to PC, please consider another because the chances of this happening again are like 0.000001%

6. lina231 thread starter macrumors regular

I would hope not, because apple would be in some serious trouble. I have had my new mac for about four days and it seems to be working fine. I just hope that it stays that way. I really enjoy using the mac, but if it causes that many problems then for me its not worth it. Im crossing my fingers for this one though!