MBA 2013 Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by shimmer73083, Aug 14, 2014.

1. shimmer73083 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am sorry if this is a dumb question but I noticed the 11' MBAs don't have an SD card slot. Is there an accessory Apple sells so I can still copy pictures onto my computer from an SD card?

I am in the midst of taking the plunge on my first MacBook and have a refurbished one in mind that is last year's model. Are Apple's refurbished products usually like new? Do I need to worry about it breaking down somewhat quickly?

Any advice for me? Thank you :)

2. iterva macrumors regular

MBA 2013 Questions

Dont know if apple sells it, but any generic USB SD card (with os x compatibility) reader would accomplish the same.
    http://www.amazon.com/Anker®-Multi-...8&qid=1408028324&sr=8-18&keywords=Usb+sd+card

There are alot of people who always opt to go with refurbished when buying Apple, just for the discounted price you get with those, same warranties apply with these, so no need to worry. Refurbished are like new.
    And as long as you are within the first year of purchase you can opt to buy the AppleCare extended warranty anytime, If you need additional ease of mind that is. :)

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

A USB card reader would certainly do it. Personally, I just plug my camera directly into my 11" MBA. I previously had a 13" MBA and never used the card slot.

Be sure to shop around a little before purchasing. Have not compared the MBA, but I recently got a Mac Mini. It turned out that a new one from B&H Photo was only $5 more than a refurb from Apple due to sales tax. And when I included the peripherals I wanted, which were cheaper at B&H, the whole package was less than buying from Apple.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Refurbs were returned for one reason or another. Most have excellent luck with them and save money!

Get a USB SD card reader from Amazon.

5. shimmer73083 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies. I have an HP laptop and have been a PC user almost all of my life so your advice/tips are extremely helpful.

I have been a long-time lurker of MR too :)

So do you find that iTunes Match is worth it? I have a lot of music and many photos stored on an external hard drive. Is it somewhat easy for me to be able to transfer what's on my external to the Macbook?

Also, I was debating on purchasing the One on One. I'm not completely computer illiterate but have you found this service helpful/useful/worth it?

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

7. shimmer73083 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to give you an update - I am typing this to you on my new Macbook Air. I decided to just go with the latest model, not the refurb, because I got $100 off plus a gift card which I wouldn't have gotten with the refurb. I feel like I got a pretty good deal plus I got to walk out of the store with it tonight! Woohoo!

Sorry about your luck thought because I will probably be posting a lot more on these boards, lol. :)