MBA 2013 vs MBA 2014

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PharmDoc, Jun 8, 2014.

1. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Hi Everybody

I have a MBA 2011, 13 in that is absolutely in perfect condition but I'm getting a bit irritated with the shorter battery life. I'm looking to sell this and get a refurb 2013 that's in the Apple store which would cost me about $500 after selling this one. Is there any noticeable difference between the 2013 and the 2014 refresh? I'm definitely not a power user anymore but I do like that 8 to 10 hour battery life vs the 4 hours I'm getting now. Thanks

PharmDoc

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... 100Mhz speed bump that you will never notice. Go for the refurb and save your money.

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

If you are that keen to upgrade just because of a battery life boost, wouldnt you be pretty upset when Apple released a completely redesigned MBA later this year? If you absolutely cannot live with 4 hours of battery life, then you should get a new computer, but if it works fine, I don't think it would be worth the money. Definitely the 2013 version by the way between the two.

Matt

4. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Refurb, nothing really changed with the 2014 bump. I'd not even call it a refresh its so minor.

6. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

It's probably only a matter of time till someone finds a way to flash 2014 firmware on 2013 model, cause it's really IS a very minor bump. :)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean by flashing 2014 firmware :confused:. Apple only bumped up the processor speed.

8. SmOgER, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Yes, they did that via firmware (same as messing with BIOS settings on desktop PC), the chips are essentially the same. Essentially you could take any chip on the market and bump it's speed by at least 100mhz with no problems whatsoever. On most machines turbo boost overclocks even more than that when all cores are at full load, cause there is a room for it till TDP reaches the pre-set W limit, but most people aren't even aware of that. I'am starting to wonder if on the full load the clockrates are actually any different, in theory, if the chips are the same, they should be giving the exact same performance for the same TDP, unless Apple bumped TDP as well that is, which would mean more heat.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Both chips have the same TDP, but they've been binned differently. I doubt all i5 4250u chips would handle running at 1.4GHz. Even if they could, it appears that the multiplier it is locked at a hardware level on the Haswell chips.

10. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

multiplier is dynamical, cause there is turbo mode. Try fully loading one of the threads and you will see what I mean when frequency increases by some 500Mhz.

From my understanding clock is locked only to TDP on these chips, so maximum clock with all threads fully loaded will actually ever so slightly vary per chip. And I'am not saying all that out of the blue, I actually observed cpu clock climbing higher than officially stated in specs when CPU load was 100% and temps were in normal range on my MBA.

11. yosemit macrumors regular

Having 10+ hours battery life is indeed amazing, but can you wait to the end of the year? There're going to be a major upgrade then, probably 12" retina MBA with 10+ hours battery life.

12. photoj2754, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Thanks for this thread and advice. My niece is starting college in the fall and wanted an Air (she needed something more portable) so I ordered this refurb for her from Apple for $799.
    Originally released June 2013
    13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    4GB memory
    128GB flash storage
    720p FaceTime HD camera
    Intel HD Graphics 500
    She just needed one for basic college stuff and the FaceTime will be nice if she gets homesick. Not sure if it ships with Mountain Lion or Mavericks but the family is using a mini with Mavericks so should I upgrade it to 10.9 or just wait till later this year for Yosemite? My other question is if I do upgrade it to Mavericks, do you think she would be eligible for the free iWork software? This unit was released in June of 2013 and the free upgrade started in October.

13. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

:rolleyes:

14. PharmDoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice everybody. I will wait until the Fall to see what is released and then I might get the 2014 refurb. I don't need the latest and greatest anymore as Apple definitely makes some solid products. This Air has been the best laptop I've every owned.