MBA 2014 or MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guido.coza, Jun 12, 2014.

1. guido.coza macrumors member

Hi all
    I have a MBA 1.8GHz i5 4gb1600mhz late 2012.
    I want to give this machine to my daughter and get a new laptop.
    Traveling allot I really appreciate the lightweight and slimness of the MBA
    Doing a lot of Photoshop work (Panoramas and focus-stack with 20+ raw files) the lady is often battling with the amount of data to process.
    The late MBP 13" comes with a 2,4ghz processor and 8gb of ram which should solve my problem. Against that, the MBA is over 500g lighter in weight. The non retina is not an option as the line will soon be discontinued has no ssd and is even heavier than the retina line.
    Storage space is no problem as, I at home, work via a TC or external HHD and on travel the 50+gb free space are sufficient.
    Any ideas
    P.S. As I get this machines thru a special package I only have a MBA 256GB 4gig ram or the MBP 256GB 8g ram with 2.6ghz

2. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

+1 for MBP with the photoshop stuff you do and only those 2 models to chose from.

Sure you say yourself non-retina not an option - there are no retina airs yet

3. guido.coza thread starter macrumors member

Hi Mercurian
    What other mac laptop is out there?
    With the non retina I meant the older MBP's
    Txs for ur reply btw :)

4. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

He stated the reasons for the non-retina pro being: no SSD, last updated in 2012, heavier. Also, the MBA do have a higher res than the cMBP so while they aren't retina, they're better than the cMBP screens in terms of resolution.

I'd go with the MBP. They really aren't that heavy since the introduction of the retina model. I carry a 15" pre-retina and even it's not that heavy for every day carrying.

5. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Looks like you already know that your current MBA lags a bit in performance.

So, the only other criterion is weight. In my opinion, unlike on a tablet, 500g should be not a make of break decision on a laptop. You will still perch the laptop on a desk or on your lap. It's unlikely you will work on it for extended periods holding it up in your hands.

6. guido.coza thread starter macrumors member

Hi mtneer & GhettoMrBob
    Txs a mill i think the choice is made. The only downside is I will not get as much coffee any more, while my mac is aligning 20-40 raw layers together:)