MBA 2014 Slow Shutdown time

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GFilms, Oct 11, 2014.

1. GFilms, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

GFilms macrumors newbie

My Mother got a MacBook Air 2014 (there was a silent update this year wasn't there?) for her birthday. It has a fast boot time (12s) and everything seems to work fine. The only thing that concerns me a bit is the shutdown time of 24s! I fount a few people on the Internet and also on this forum saying that you do not need to shut down a MacBook. I know that but isn't a slow shutdown time pointing to some problem that can become important later on? Others told you to install a program but because it's my mothers MacBook I don't want to to that because she doesn't know that much about tech things and would get a bit suspicious.

Is this shut down time normal?
    Thanks for your answers

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Sometimes the system has to do maintenance before shutting down. 24s can be normal.

Don't worry about computer problems until they are actually problems.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have a 2013 MBA and it can take a long time to shutdown sometimes too. Have never really looked into it, but I don't think anything is wrong, it just does that sometimes.

I rarely do a shutdown, so it isn't much of an issue for me.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Quoted for truth and accuracy. Shutdown will often take longer than startup due to, as has been stated above, maintenance and housekeeping which may need to be done on the way down.

5. GFilms thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you for your answers. I just wanted to avoid problems later on, but it seems that is normal behavior.
    Regards