MBA 2014 Upgrade vs MBP Early 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by timbolam, Jun 5, 2014.

  1. timbolam macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2014
    #1
    Hi guys,

    I am thinking about upgrading, been looking around and decided that MBA 11 inch would be the way to go.

    My current laptop is the 13-inch Macbook Pro, early 2011
    • Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    • Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

    • 750 GB SATA Disk

    I can probably use this for another year, but been itching to upgrade to an MBA 11-inch. Probably with 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage, 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM and 1.4GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz.

    Is it time for an upgrade? Or is my MacBook Pro still a good machine? I recently got a new battery, memory and harddrive for it as well.

    Any input is welcome!

    Thanks!
     
  2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

    Mr. Retrofire

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    Location:
    www.emiliana.cl/en
    #2
    Why do you not replace the HDD with a SSD (Samsung 840 EVO) + Trim Enabler? Or if you can wait, buy a Broadwell MBA + OS X 10.10 in Q4/2014. This machine works probably 20 to 24 hours with one charge.
     
  3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    #3
    Solid advice. Just based on the Apple mantra of slim being the solution to everything, I would be surprised if the battery life was rated for anything more than 14 hours. Especially since your laptop is more than capable, I would hold on to it for a while longer. If you upgrade to an SSD, there will be very little difference in comparison to the current MBAs. The only reason to get a new MBA right now is if you absolutely need one.

    Matt
     
  4. timbolam thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2014
    #4
    Thanks guys. So I should probably hold out till Q4 when Apple might potentially come out with the MBA 12 inch? The only reason I want to change devices is because this is getting too bulky and I don't need a powerful machines as most of what I do is browse the web, watch movies, work on documents.
     
  5. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Location:
    Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
    #5
    I would say wait also. But if your impatient like me go ahead and do it. You could probably sell your MBP on craigslist or eBay and get about what you will need to buy an 11" MacBook Air. Keep it in tip-top shape and if you must, sell it when a new Late 2014 MacBook Air comes out. Its a lot of juggling around but I do it and I never pay more than 200-300 dollars to upgrade to a newer machine.
     
  6. yosemit macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2013
    #6
    I would definitely wait. It's a major upgrade, and just a few months away. And you have a capable Mac right now.

     
  7. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    #7
    I was in a similar position when trying to decide when to upgrade from my 2009 13" MBP to a MBA. I jumped on the 2012 model and then the 2013 model hit and I immediately regretted my decision and ended up going through a lot of pain (and money) to get the 2013 version because the difference in battery life was so great I knew I would regret using the 2012 version for 3 years.

    If I had it to do all over again I would have waited for the 2013 version. I'm happy now and pretty confident that unless the next MBA is somehow magically the size of an iPad when closed but gives you a 20" display when open + 20hr battery life at the same price I will be set for a few years.

    My point is wait for that release that makes you go: 'Aha! that is what I was waiting for!' You haven't bought the current MBA yet which means you didn't get that feeling when it first came out. So wait.
     

Share This Page