Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndchung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2018
Hello!

I purchased a refurbished 2015 MBA about a year ago in the states. Since then I have been using while traveling and it's been working fine. When I came to Uganda however, the challenges began.

First, the original charger stopped working. I replaced the charger and got a compatible plug. Then I travel to Rwanda a few months later and that one died. I've replaced twice again with new chargers purchased from the electronics market but these 2 replacements don't light up. The computer shows that it's charging but it isn't enough power to actually turn on the device.

They've told me that my computer had an issue with the DC module but I'm not sure what that is and if I trust someone to open it up and tinker with it. However, I really need to use my laptop. Anyone else heard of a problem like this?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It could be a bad third party charger or perhaps the charger damaged the MagSafe board. The MagSafe board in the air is a separate circuit board that can be replaced without replacing other components.

ndchung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2018
Thanks! Now, I am wondering if that can be an at home fix? Will check it out on YouTube

Agent47

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
Thanks! Now, I am wondering if that can be an at home fix? Will check it out on YouTube
It's not too hard. Heres a youtube Video:

Be sure to get a proper Apple Magsafe adapter and consider using a power filter when traveling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.