Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tallgrl230

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2019
I started using a Macbook Air 2017 about a couple years ago and have struggled to read and view thumbnails on it from the start. I assumed my eyes were used to the large screen on my Dell laptop and I'd have to adjust. Nope! I have to enlarge the screen to see small print on this laptop still.

Yes, I slightly need reading glasses and thought that might be the prob. Now I see people discussing the "non-retina display" issues and I'm wondering if that's my problem? Would this cause small print to be more difficult to read? Can I make adjustments that will help?

Another thing that kills me on this Macbook...the thumbnails are tiny (or maybe too blurry?) to see when I'm selecting photos to share on social media. I store photos in my documents, so when I want to post something to Facebook I click on Documents and it pulls up all the thumbnails to choose from. No point in showing me thumbnails, though, as I can't make out what the photos are in them. I have to pull up "Finder" to locate the photo and make not of the name of the photo, then go back to the Facebook window and search for the photo by name.

Please tell me there's a way to increase the thumbnail size in those social media windows. This is definitely only a prob for me on the Macbook Air 2017. I've used a large variety of windows pc's with different screen sizes over the years and never had this issue. Could this be related to the poor retina screen issue?

Thanks for any help!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I can't increase the resolution for you. But I can give you a tip. - I don't know what social media thingies you talk about; That's not really my strong suit, but when you hover over a thumbnail in Finder - Whether it be in the dock, a Finder window, a file selector, or any other Finder related setting, clicking the spacebar will englarge it.

The MBA doesn't have a super sharp screen relative to retina quality, and it doesn't have a super large screen. - But it should be no worse than any other non-retina display out there, which most PC displays, definitely going back a few years, were/are

Tallgrl230

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2019
I'll try that when I try to post a pic to Facebook or eBay! It would be great if that worked! I hate that I can't browse through the thumbnails to select a pic!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.