MBA 2018 - silent clicking

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cehape, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Cehape macrumors newbie

Cehape

Hi,

I own a 2018 MBA and was wondering if the "silent clicking" option in the Trackpad preferences are working for someone around here. I mean, that I do not recognize any difference between checking or unchecking this box. The trackpad clicks just sound the same with, or without this option.
    I know this option was removed with the 2018 MBPs, but the MBA still has the checkbox.

Perhaps someone with a 2018 MBA can check it and reply, if this option is working as intended.

Thank you.

2. ifman macrumors member

ifman

seems the same to me too. it wasn't making a noise before, and checking the box didn't make the silence any quieter.

3. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

For me it definitely made it quieter. The click sound has less pitch.

Keep in mind that, for some reason, this option disappeared for the new MacBook Pros (2016 onwards), while remaining on the trackpad settings for the 12" MacBooks, even for the 2017 ones. It is a pleasant surprise that this 13" MacBooks (Air) keep that option as well.

It is not very noticeable, though. You have to listen carefully to it. It is very subtle.

4. sheiko macrumors newbie

I think, this option or function just called "Silent clicking", but for real, it's only making a click a little bit... faster? So this is some kind of response time settings and when it's faster, the click seems more "silent".
    Would be better, if they add this function for capslock, when you can disable that delay of responding to supposedly wrong press.

5. Cehape thread starter macrumors newbie

Cehape

Yes, now this seems to be true :) It's just very subtile to recognize.

Thank you guys (and gals) for your contribution here.