MBA 8GB vs rMBP 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TorontoSS, Mar 3, 2014.

1. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before but wanted to get some clarity. Which do you feel would be better value? I think 8GB would be good on either MBA or rMBA. I am thinking 256GB on either of them and the price difference here in the UK is only about £40 between the rMBP and the MBA.

I would primarily use the laptop at home - I don't travel with it; but it's nice to have an MBA on your lap rather than an rMBP!

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance - I appreciate all of your views.

2. themwhite3 macrumors newbie

The rmbp is a better laptop overall its more powerful and the screen is leaps above the air screen.

3. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that's some pretty sound advice. I'm leaning towards the retina one with 8GB.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Retina all the way if you do anything intensive. I loved my Air, I prefer the form factor and feel of it, but the power is just lacking.

Because Apple are the only ones who sell 8GB Airs the pricing is even in the Retina's favour.

£1,209 for an 8GB/256GB 1.3GHz Air from Apple.

£1,170 for an 8GB/256GB, 2.4GHz Retina from laptopsdirect.co.uk; and don't forget you get an extra thunderbolt port, an HDMI port and a much better screen. Under £1,100 if you get a US keyboard (Amazon/eBay) or refurbished model (laptops direct, maybe Amazon).

5. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Retina without question. The Air only makes sense in its base iterations.

6. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions. I went to the apple store just to take a look - screen obviously better but MBA just so much lighter - guess I'll have to take a call! Thanks guys!

7. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Went to the store again today to see the difference. Realised there really isn't much difference it weight - I don't even travel with it so got home and ordered the pro. It's just better value and plain better.

Thanks for your advice guys!!

8. egy195 macrumors regular

rumor has it that apple will introduce a 12 retina macbook air this year, this way you will get the best of both worlds :)

9. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that advice. I've heard about that rumour. The problem with rumours is that sometimes they're true, sometimes they're not. (hence them being rumours). I would lean towards it being true though but even if it is...

the first one out would be really expensive right? Just like the Retina 13 inch MBP. it took about a year or more to get to the price it's at now.

It's tempting to waiting for the next best thing but that can last for ever. And at the moment we get pretty great things right?

10. egy195 macrumors regular

of course waiting sounds nice, but i think the right time to get a computer is when you need it not when apple updates it :D
    i don't think it will be expensive as apple will kill off the non-retina 13inch macbooks so i think this 12inch laptop will take its spot