MBA Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by harry*333, Jun 17, 2013.

1. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

I will be going to college in August and will obviously need to have a computer. Now I plan on getting the new iCan/Waste-Basket/Mac Pro when it comes out "later this year" for my video editing. However that leaves at least a month, more likely a few, where I won't have a computer. My solution is to pick up a MBA which will be enough to support my basic needs and then still be useful as a portable machine later.

Now that the new models are out, I'm looking to find a good deal on a 2012, particularly an 11" with 128GB. Apple refurbished is $800, though I haven't found any other retailer that can beat that. So I've been watching eBay for a good condition used one, though the last couple auctions I've seen close were approaching $700. My problem is that if I can get a used one for $700, I might as well go for the refurbished, and if I can get the refurbished for $800, I might as well go up another notch and get a new 2013 model for $900(via Best Buy discount).

So in short, I'd like to find a 2012 11" MBA with 128GB for <$600, preferably closer to $500. Is this completely daft or will prices start going down soon? Or should I just spend my pennies already and get a 2013 model?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Well, it's not completely daft, but since you're dealing with small differences in cost, I would go with the refurbished one. Even if you add AppleCare to it, it would still cost less than a new one and you have the peace of mind that you bought it from Apple and not some anonymous person on eBay/Amazon/CriagsList. But hoping to get one for close to $500 is unreasonable for right now anyway.

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I'd say the pricing is not going to drop significantly (more than $100) anytime soon. There's no logical reason why it should.

4. harry*333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry*333

Thanks for the help guys. I picked up the last clearance model at Best Buy today and so far I am very pleased.

5. RedCroissant Suspended

Great! How much RAM did it have installed?

6. harry*333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry*333

It's only 4GB. I would have preferred to have 8, but the only clearance models I've seen with 8 also had the i7 and are much more costly.

7. RedCroissant Suspended

Well, if it does what you need it to, then that's what matters, right?