MBA + airport exteme ->2.4 Hz or 5Hz???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by markwise, Mar 14, 2008.

1. markwise macrumors member

I recently bought the MBA and I've started experimenting with an airport extreme

Till now I happen to loose connection for no obvious reason
    so I wonder what the most ideal connection set up is:
    In the airport extreme config program one can option for either b/g or n in combination with 2.4 Hz or 5 Hz

if the MBA is the only hardware to be wireless connected to the airport extreme, what is the set up to choose ??

THX in advance for your help

2. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

If it's just the mba on it, then I would probably go 5ghz wireless n. It should have the least interference.

3. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

Yeah put it to 5Ghz N. However, if a G network comes on, it will lower the speed of the network.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Go 5 GHz. Tested my Time Capsule running with wireless N only on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and I noticed my MacBook Pro connected at 130 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz and around 240 Mbps on the 5 GHz. Sony VAIO connected at 130 Mbps and 300 Mbps. Seems like the higher wireless N speeds are only achievable with the 5 GHz. Mind you this is still limited by your internet connection (Gigabit or not) so you might not notice any difference at all, but there will probably be less interference from other 2.4 GHz devices (most cordless phones, etc.).

5. err404 macrumors 68020

While 5G will probably be better, it depends on the environment that you are in. From the Airport utility you can see you current rate. It's very easy to check it yourself and you will know for sure. Testing it should take no more then 5 minutes.

6. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I have a G network along with N on Time capsule.

@ 2.4Ghz N network wasn't much faster than 'G'. I found that after changing to 2.5Ghz, the performance was much better.

Additionally, at 2.5Ghz, the wireless network of course did not interfere with my wireless Logitech mouse, which also uses the 2.4Ghz range. The G never interfered, but the N certainly does: the mouse because erratic.

7. markwise thread starter macrumors member

ok 5hz !!

Many THX
    you all advised the 5 Hz so I will go for that !