MBA alternatives (not replacing!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fayewolf, Aug 25, 2014.

1. fayewolf macrumors newbie

Recently I got my MBA 8gb/256 and I'm very happy with this along with my ipad. However for work, my company only allow us to use PC, and now we are selecting our new laptops- YOGA or Carbon.

I wanted to pick carbon because I really don't need to have another touch screen or ipad like machine, but I'm open to suggestions/comments/recommendation?

2. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

If it has to be Lenovo then Carbon.

Any high end ultrabook will have a touchscreen.

Acer S7
    Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus
    Toshiba Kira
    Asus VivoBook

3. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Piggyback Windows7 or 8 OS onto your new MBA perhaps?

4. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Mostly likely needs a company laptop that the company has control over.

5. fayewolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, those are my only options. Yoga or Carbon.

Aside from the touch screen- which one is a better laptop? I mainly would use it to do presentation. ( taking it out and present like a ipad is not a necessity for me, i love doing my presentation on my macbook )

I currently VPN into my work email and access file on my MBA a lot. I work in the field, so no one will scold me. :)

6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I vote for the yoga. The carbon supposedly has a bad/redesigned keyboard, but I haven't used either. If you can get the YOGA Pro 2 then I think you would be most happy with that. I just did a google search though.

Matt

7. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Carbon is my Vote. True business class ultra book. What do you want to know?

8. fayewolf thread starter macrumors newbie

I am unable to actually see the real thing, since I work in the field. I want something that functions and look (well, maybe not) like a macbook/mba. Thin, clean looking, minimalistic, light.

Good battery life, does the machine boots up quickly like the Macs?

9. fayewolf thread starter macrumors newbie

It is the Yoga pro 2.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The latest X1 Carbons are trash. Poor keyboard and zero indicator lights. Maybe if they find last years Carbon but not the latest!

Lenovo has lost it way and this comes from a person who used Thinkpads for MANY years.

Your company needs to rethink!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have a ThinkPad X1 Carbon for work. Awesome computer and definitely my laptop of choice. I think it's worth every penny.

I have the older one, so I cannot comment on the newer one.

They do sell the X1 Carbon without a touch screen. The one without a touch screen is thinner and lighter I believe.

There are options with cellular 3G/4G so you can use on the go.

12. fayewolf thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish they would go with MAC but it's not possible. IT's a large corp so nothing i can change about it. And crap, i think i am getting the latest version of carbon x1.
    should i just re-order the yoga pro 2 instead?

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry but never used a yoga 2, but have owned two Carbons. The first was the old model with one of the best keyboards I have ever used. Win 7 Pro and no touch screen. This was a killer machine.

The latest Carbon does not have any indicator lights except power. There are no dedicated F buttons, as the top row of buttons can have multiple functions. The feel of the keyboard was horrible. I do not understand how Lenovo could screw up the keyboards!

Just go to Amazon and check out the reviews for both of these machines. If you can find an older one some are chargiong a $500 premium for the older unit. That tells alot.

I left Lenovo and have gone to Apple for my hardware and currently use two 27" iMacs and one MBA for work, all on Win7 Pro via BootCamp.

14. fayewolf thread starter macrumors newbie

No i hear you. I wish i can do that, but they will not let me do that. I can use my mac for most editing, powerpoint, or other stuff, but when i need to get into my network, i still need to use my work laptop. There are absolutely zero alternatives other than choosing between the two.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would go to Amazon and look at the reviews on both items and pick the one you want. For all I know the Yoga2 might be a darn good computer. I can only tell you about the Carbon.

Best of luck.

----------

The older Carbons are demanding a premium price if you can find one. It is a darn nice computer for sure!

16. m98custom1212, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

I don't a have problem with the keyboard but your mileage will very. I should say I dont like keyboard because of the sharp edges on the air or what. I try computers for out for month or so and resell them.

Yes it will boot quickly to because of the SSD

You don't need any indicators lights anyways.. I don't have any on my desktop just on. My Surface Pro 3 doesn't and I don't care or miss them at all. Same with "F" keys Small and portable

The reviews are all over the place.

17. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

They won't let you keep your trusty old x220?? ;)