MBA and Aperture

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by driftless, Apr 6, 2014.

1. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I haven't used a laptop in a while, I currently use an iMac as my main machine and an iPad as my mobile device. The programs that I use are: Adobe CC, iWorks, Aperture, etc. The rumors about a possible retina MBA, particularly, the 12" have had me rethinking my work flow. The programs that I would use on a possible future MBA would be iWorks and Aperture. I am not worried about an ARM cpu as these are native Apple products (and iWorks works just fine on an iPad). My question to those who use Aperture how well does it run on an MBA? And, what about Dreamweaver? Assuming an Intel chip or x86 emulation in the new MBA's. Thanks in advance.

2. kage207 macrumors 6502a

It will be fine. The new MBA will be Intel. ARM is no where near ready to take on Intel. Still, they'd have to rewrite their OS X application if they switched CPUs.

3. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

Thanks, but that does not answer my question. I am interested in how Aperture, and to a lesser extent Dreamweaver, runs on the current MBA's. Even if the new cpu is an ARM I would assume that Apple rewrites iWorks and Aperture to run in an optimized way on the new machine.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not sure about Dw, but Aperture and Lightroom runs pretty slick on a 13" base 2013 MBA (but with 8GB of RAM).

5. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

Thanks. I am hoping that there will be a 16x10 Retina MBA announced in June.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Same exact 2013 MBA here OP and Aperture runs slick as can be with 6,100 photos. You will be fine.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

To me, it's the hard drive that makes the difference with Aperture, not the CPU.

A few years ago, my Aperture library, running on a 15" MBP with a 7200-RPM HDD constantly got beach balls ... very frustrating.

I've since switched to a MBA (slower processor, but a much faster SSD), and working with the same Aperture library, the beach balls are virtually nonexistent.

8. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless