MBA and External Monitor Set-Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stockcerts, Jul 17, 2013.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I'm sure there is a simple answer, but I'm a newbie with a MBA. I have a thunderbold to VGA adaptor plugged into my MacBook, but nothing is displaying on the external monitor. I didn't see any settings in displays that allow for this option.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Check the input source on the Monitor. It may be showing it's HDMI or DVI inputs instead of VGA.

OS X should automatically detect the monitor.
    In Settings/Displays
    The General Tab displays the settings for the two monitors on the monitor they affect, so if you aren't getting anything on the monitor side, you won't see any settings there.
    The Arrangements Tab is only shown on the Main monitor and should have blue squares representing each monitor.

I guess that a very old monitor might not be supported (based on available resolutions), but I've never experienced that so I don't know what it would look like.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

What do you mean by nothing?

Just a blank screen? Any wallpaper?

It's possible your adaptor is faulty. Any way to try with another monitor?

4. molesworth_2 macrumors newbie

It says "No mDP Cable. The display will go into Power Save Mode in 5 minutes" And the monitor does not show up in my displays preferences. Most confusing.

5. molesworth_2 macrumors newbie

It's a brand new monitor, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm stumped.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

No need to theorize about what might be broken. Use the scientific method to figure it out. Get another computer and plug it in to the monitor to see if it works.