MBA and MS office 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nbmoose, Mar 10, 2008.

1. nbmoose macrumors newbie

Has anyone used MS office 2008 with the MBA yet?
    work well?

Does the apple education store give a discount on MS office?It doesn't appear to? is this correct?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Office 2008 works just fine on my MBA... I use Entourage for e-mail on my Macs, and it does exactly what I expect it to, quickly. I don't run Excel or Word much, but from my testing they appear to run at a decent clip.

As far as discounts go, I don't know about that. There is an educational Office 2008 package that's only $150 or so, I believe.

3. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Check with your school's technology store, I got Office 2008 two weeks ago for $65....

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Your better off getting office from your school library or Tech store it will be cheaper there.

5. edwardjung macrumors newbie

Educational version of Office 2008

Microsoft offers educational discounts. The educational version of Entourage in Office 2008, I believe, does not support Exchange protocol, but you can use IMAP4, etc.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

This is correct. If you want to connect to an Exchange Server without having to use IMAP, don't buy the educational package. This deficiency/requirement is listed on the box.

7. Retops macrumors regular

Office 2008 on MBA

I held off for a while putting Office 2008 on my MBA because I had heard some grousing on the internet (no really, I did, on the internet!) that Office ran too slowly on the Air.

I finally broke down as I continue to receive many documents in the docx format. Office 2008 runs very well on my MBA, possible even a bit faster than the previous edition. For me, the change to the new program was worth it.

8. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

I've been running Office 2008 on my MBA since it arrived. Works great and is as fast as the XP version. I also dont understand why everyone was talking about how slow it is. I am connecting via Exchange and have a very large file (6gb)...no speed issues at all.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Almost totally forgot to mention: Office 2008 gains a lot of performance over Office 2004 because 2008 is actually a Universal Binary; Office 2004 was written only for PPC Macs and as a result it had to use Rosetta emulation on Intel Macs. Switching to UBs makes a big difference in the speed department.

10. grimslade macrumors member

11. ViperrepiV macrumors regular

office ran slowly the first few times i ran it, but now it is just fine.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

No problems - cranks up Entourage 2008 about three seconds faster than Outlook 2007 on the UX390N that I have to hand (1.33Ghz Core Solo, 1Gb RAM, SSD, running Vista Business), which happens to be the slowest Windows ultraportable I own. About 5 seconds to crank up Entourage and attach to my Exchange Store ready to sync, as opposed to about 8 for the UX.

The UX is however about a second faster to launch Excel 2007 vs Excel 2008 on the Air, and about half a second quicker in Word. Not an earth-shattering difference, and the Air boots up these apps in what I'd consdier to be a perfectly reasonable time.

It is kind of weird though that the Air is beaten in those two respects by this,
    [​IMG]
    given that MS Office is a heavier-weight application under Windows...

Either way though, not a big deal - pretty much what I expect for an ultraportable, and nicely usable in terms of overall response. As far as performance is concerned, can't complain.