MBA and Netflix Freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacBird, Jul 9, 2012.

1. MacBird macrumors 6502

I watched a film on Netflix with the 13'' MBA 2012 running on batteries. After about 30 minutes the video did not continue but the sound did and there was no way to close Safari or anything else for that matter. I had to press the power button to restart and this happened twice. Is this a Safari and/or Safari-Silverlight issue and is there a way to fix it? I am using the newest Silverlight version. I guess I could try if it works better with Chrome or Firefox.

2. Photios macrumors member

Photios

I have had the exact same problem on 3 or 4 occasions. I did a little research on the web, and others are having this issue. My guess is that it is a graphics driver that is causing the problem, either on apple's end, silverlight or something else related. I tried Firefox, but video seems a little choppy.

I'm trying to be patient in waiting for a software update.:)

3. MacBird thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, you are probably right about the graphics driver and/or Silverlight. Question is if Apple is even aware of the problem or if Mountain Lion will fix it.

4. Photios macrumors member

Photios

It could be that Mountain Lion will take care of it. It won't be long a wait...

5. luqtotheman macrumors regular

I use google chrome and never have issues with netflix

it could be the plugin with safari. Flash and sliver light can be buggy.

6. MacBird thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I will give that a try.

7. debrice macrumors newbie

Same here, Macbook with the latest upgrades it plays for 30 mins and image freezes. most of the time the sound keeps playing.

8. stchman macrumors 6502a

I have watched Netflix on my MBA using Firefox with no problems at all.