Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
For those who have received or will receive the MBA, and use PS CS3, can you guys report how well it works? Is it speedy? or a major drag?

I have a new 24" iMac 2.8ghz 4gb at home. I just sold my 10" VAIO that I used to take everywhere. I would use the MBA just for internet and occasional PS CS3 (all personal use), then at home (iMac) do any major editing and vacation movie editing.

I want to know if the MBA will be quick enough for PS.

TIA

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I am waiting for the Air myself and will also be using CS3.

If it helps any, and it probably doesn't help much, I had a Dell laptop recently that was 1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo and had 2GB of RAM (in other words, same specs as the Air) and it ran Photoshop CS3 VERY well. I imagine this will be at least on par maybe better since the Air has better graphics card than my laptop (GMA 950 v. Air's X3100) and the Air is on Mac OS which beats Vista or XP.

andyokay

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
I could run CS3 on my old VAIO TX17 (1.2 Ghz Intel Pentium M, with 512MB ram) with no lag or major hassles.

Then again, I was just doing minor editing on 6MB photos.

Well, either way, I can run CS3 on a Macbook (2 GHz, Core 2 Duo) with a movie playing, a few torrent files downloading, Vista on VM Fusion (in another space), and a couple of safari windows open, and get some major editing done without anything slowing down.

So yes, definitely, you can. Quite comfortably, I would say.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I imagine this will be at least on par maybe better since the Air has better graphics card than my laptop (GMA 950 v. Air's X3100) and the Air is on Mac OS which beats Vista or XP.

Photoshop doesn't employ the graphics card for 99% of the things it does, the MacBook Air has a 4200rpm drive in it which could hit Photoshop hard. It remains to be seen how suitable this machine is for anything more than simple photo-editing.

Anyone who says they know now isn't basing their opinions on anything concrete.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I appreciate the comments. I would really like to have a "real" life test. I wonder if the stores have CS3 loaded in them for me to test? I know they'll have aperture, but I like CS3 much better.

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I am waiting for the Air myself and will also be using CS3.

If it helps any, and it probably doesn't help much, I had a Dell laptop recently that was 1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo and had 2GB of RAM (in other words, same specs as the Air) and it ran Photoshop CS3 VERY well. I imagine this will be at least on par maybe better since the Air has better graphics card than my laptop (GMA 950 v. Air's X3100) and the Air is on Mac OS which beats Vista or XP.

I can help you here :)
I USE CS3 on my Acer Aspire 1.6 Ghz Celeron M, 512GB RAM, 40GB HDD.
:cool:

I think you should be able to use a C2D with 2GB RAM and 64/80 GB HDD

Also keep in mind I run BOTH Vista and XP Partitions on this thing.

treacle

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
metro New York area
I have CS3 on my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. I was thinking of installing it on my MBA but it will take up quite a bit of space. I may just put Lightroom on and wait for PS Elements 6 for the MBA but I may try PS3 and see how it runs. I wish Adobe had a Elements public beta. I just preordered PS element 6 Adobe expects shipping 3/16. Maybe I'll put CS3 on and then remove it when I get El 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.