MBA and Time Capsule, or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by o JRoD o, Aug 26, 2011.

1. o JRoD o macrumors member

o JRoD o

Greetings Everyone,

I'm in the process of purchasing a new Mac, and would like some input or advice on what to get. First and foremost, the purpose of the mac will be to have a computer to sync my iPhone and iPad with, as well as browsing, and some slight media editing. I have a 13" MacBook Pro at the moment, but it is going to back to my ex-girlfriend.

So I thought the MBA would be a nice choice. The portability is really attractive. Not that my current MacBook is a huge machine. Processing speed isn't a real issue, as I don't feel like I'd ever be pushing the limits of processing power. My only concern with the MBA is storage space. On the base 11" there is only 64GB. So I'd need to get an external drive of some sort. My question is, do these drives (time capsule in particular) stream music and movies pretty well? I have around 30 movies on my current MacBook Pro. I don't want to spend more than $1300.

Otherwise I'd just go with the 13" Base MacBook Pro, being that it has a large hard drive.

Thoughts? Advice? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jerod

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My experience with streaming media over a wireless network is that it mostly works okay. I do get some lag here and there. The REAL difficulty was syncing to my iPod - it took what seemed like ages just to update my 24 Gb music library from a wireless volume.

Have you considered buying an external USB drive? The performance would be MUCH faster and lag-free, although it defeats the purpose of going wireless.

Bottom line, as far as performance goes, wireless is still a LONG way from wired (either USB, FireWire, or Ethernet).

3. o JRoD o, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

o JRoD o thread starter macrumors member

o JRoD o

Thanks for your reply Tomorrow!

I haven't considered an external USB drive. Ideally, I'd like to have access to all my movies and music, but I do have a lot. The appealing aspect of the MacBook Pro is that it is all right there for me to get at. Where as with the MBA, I'd have to carry an external drive of some sort. Still not a huge deal. I guess I could put certain music and movies on the MBA, and then leave the rest on an external drive. Just want easy access. Not to mention this will be my primary, and only computer.

I'm literally torn on what to do. I guess that isn't a bad thing though. :) I'm just hoping for a way to be sold on having the MBA, and keep all my media together, or at least close.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Get the 256GB SSD option? :confused:

5. o JRoD o thread starter macrumors member

o JRoD o

Trying to keep the price around $1300. SSD option puts me at $1599.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Got it. Missed it from your OP. If you get an external drive and connect it via USB, you can pretty much get a WD 1TB drive for $80 that will work great with movies and music. I know Seagate has a GoFlex 320GB drive that streams wirelessly to the iPad, not sure if it would work with the MBA (it should, I would hope!).

There are a couple of smaller drive options (320GB and 500GB) that are even slimmer from G-drive and Seagate that go nicely with the MBA.

7. o JRoD o thread starter macrumors member

o JRoD o

Thanks! I'll check out some of the drive options. I don't mind plugging it in via usb from time to time.

8. Fernandez21, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You can get the one with 128gb, 4gb ram, i5 for $1,199 ($1,139 at best buy/amazon) and a 500gb go flex portable hard drive for $49. The 128gb should be enough to at least carry all your music and pictures, and you can use the seagate for videos. Theres also a refurb 128gb, 4gb, 1.6ghz core 2 available for $1,049 too.

9. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

I'm another one who would recommend the MBA + small external hard drive. Unless you pay for the SSD in the 13" MBP (which is pretty expensive), for day to day use the Macbook Air ends up feeling faster to me.

10. o JRoD o thread starter macrumors member

o JRoD o

Thank you all for the replies. I pulled the trigger, and picked up the 11" 128GB i5 MacBook Air, and a 500GB G Drive Slim yesterday.

I can't say enough good things about it. The only issue I had last night moving things over to the Air, was applications purchased in the app store on my MacBook Pro. For whatever reason it wouldn't let me open them if I pulled them off the external drive. Re-downloading them fixed the issue, and I've been cruising ever since. So far I am not missing the 13" screen at all. When I'd move back and forth between my 13" MacBook Pro and the Air, I couldn't believe the size difference. Also hooked the G Drive up to my airport extreme after I got everything moved over. I kept my entire iTunes library on the G Drive to conserve space on the Air. So far streaming has worked like a charm over wifi. If I need to hook the drive up directly, it won't be an issue, as it is so compact and tiny. A perfect mate for the Air.

The Air reminds me a lot of my first Mac, when it comes to the size. The 12" G4 PowerBook. I never had any issues with that machine, and don't anticipate any with the Air.

Anyway,
    Just wanted to update you all with the purchase, and thank you for making the decision to jump to the Air an easy one. Total investment was $1234, as Best Buy had the Air on sale for $1134. The G Drive was $100.

Cheers!
    Jerod