MBA availability in an Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by slayerizer, May 23, 2014.

1. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

I'm curious to know if you can buy an i7/256gbSSD/8gb RAM version at the store or is it mandatory to order online.

2. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Your best bet would be to phone and ask.

It usually is not uncommon for the Apple store to carry top spec models along with the core base models.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

You can buy almost any version in-store at B&H Photo in New York City. I got my 11" i7/8gb/512gb there last summer. I checked all the Apple Stores in the region and none of them carried it. In fact, B&H was the only place (online or bricks & mortar) that didn't list it as special order.

But that might not be a good option if you're in Canada...

4. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

I went yesterday and they didn't carry the 13" with 8gb RAM but they did carry the larger one. So... I'm having to order mine.

5. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I would call and ask before you went.

I would think that some of the higher traffic, higher income locations/stores may carry the higher end configurations.

It probably is not the same everywhere. It comes down to supply and demand.

6. dawgfang macrumors member

Two years ago I bought an 11" Air with 8gb of RAM and 256gb SSD in store. I called recently and was told they only carried base configs in store.
    I think I was talking to someone overseas however and not at the store I called. This was in Atlanta BTW.

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

When I got my MBA last summer, I remember you could go to Apple's site and select a specific Apple store, then click a link to shop there and you could actually see what they had in stock. That was how I learned that none of the stores in my region had the model I wanted.

Just looked at their site now and it seems like that feature no longer exists. Did I imagine that? :confused: Why would they get rid of that feature?

8. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Yes - I remember their online inventory checker. They did that with the iPhone 5s too. I hope it becomes standard procedure with new model releases.

9. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

My experience in two Canadian stores is that they only carried some of the 4GB versions and the Ultimate. You should call your specific store.

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

This has been my recent experience here in San Diego as well. Very few (if any) 8GB models except the Ultimate in stock.

11. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

Same thing here in Tucson/Phoenix. That's why my joy of actually holding a new macbook air with 8gb but not all the other upgrades will take another week or so (depending on processing/shipping/delivery times) to happen.

12. slayerizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

I finally went into the nearest store and they had the 4gb and the ultimate 8gb with the biggest ssd. Same thing for the iMac. The biggest iMac is very expensive with the 1TB SSD.

At least they said I could order anything at the store and do a local pickup there also.

13. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I just ordered a i7/8GB/256GB 2013 11" Refurb online, and it saves you quite a bit of $$$.. they aren't there often, but if you keep an eye on the Refurb Store, you'll see them, but they do go quick. Just thought I'd throw that in there for ya...