MBA Basic config to 1.7Ghz and 8GB Ram- Big difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Khabbi, May 1, 2014.

1. Khabbi macrumors member

Looking at buying options here, and I have the opportunity to buy a pre-monday 11" MBA for $799 NIB, which I think is a great deal.. or stay with the one I ordered, which is the 11" with 1.7Ghz and 8GB Ram for $1079 (I can get my student discount on this, but not the $799).

So will I regret not just spending the extra $ and getting more processor speed and Ram? Would you consider the upgrades "major" or just adding more stuff that I most likely won't need?

I will be using for everyday tasks (Word Processing, surfing, accessing company programs through the internet that require flash, some streaming video, and possibly uploading photos from my DSLR and doing some minor post-prosessing on the photos when not at home).

Sorry to re-hash this age old question, but I'm curious to get some opinions on the latest MBA's and how the upgrades would potentially effect my personal uses.

Thanks in advance!

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thank you for describing you intended use in detail!
    With those needs there will be absolutely no difference.
    Unless you see yourself doing entirely other things with your macbook soon, safe the cash.

Buy for 799$.

3. cjgonzales1900 macrumors regular

No major differences with the processor but the ram is a different thing. How long are you planning on keeping this MacBook Air? I personally went with the upgraded ram and processor as well as the SSD because I am planning on keeping it tell it dies.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

If those are really your only needs,you might wanna look at a chromebook. But if you must have a air,then yes the one on sale is the way to go for what you want.

5. phositadc macrumors 6502

Does Chromebook support ms office or any other widely used word processor? Does it support any commonly used enterprise remote desktop software such as citrix, which I'm assuming this guy uses since he said he accessed his work via flash? If not, it probably wouldn't work for the op.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

This is the mac forum. Chromebooks are crap.