MBA, BlackBook, or KEEP waiting for MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TantalizedMind, Feb 16, 2008.

  1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a


    Feb 5, 2007
    Hey guys.

    I've been waiting to get a new Mac for a loooong time. My last current Mac that I don't even use anymore is a Single 1.8Ghz PowerMacG5. This past Christmas I bought the entry-level Mac Mini for my parents, and it blazes compared to my G5. For the fast few months I've been using my girlfriend's 1.83Ghz CD (512MB) Whitebook.

    I'm going to go with a laptop, though I thought of getting a new iMac+iPod Touch, but I want my Mac Apps on the go with me, not just Notes on the Touch. I have been sitting at my work computer every late Tuesday afternoon to see if the new MBP have come out. Nodda. And before that, I was waiting for the aluminum MB's. I know these are all just rumors, but some of them are true. And new products MUST come out sometime.

    I will be using my laptop for internet, pages, keynote, iphoto, garageband, and hopefully I could find a freeware app that is something like Photoshop.

    First up, MBA. The things I love about the MBA are the portability factor and the new touch gestures. Though I'd only buy the 1.6Ghz C2D, and that will be too slow. Apps like Apeture require a 2Ghz C2D. I don't want to spend $2k on a slow laptop. Also 80GB HDD, eek.

    Next BlackBook. Probably the best bang for my buck. The only thing that a current MBP has on it, is a gfx card. Which I won't be doing any gaming anyway due to having too many console games which I haven't even beat yet. (FYI, buy No More Heroes!) The Buyer's Guide is not expecting an update soon for the MB, though I will be a little down in the dumps if a black aluminum MB comes out. 2.2Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM ($99 OWC), 160GB HDD, sounds good. Though I don't want a glossy screen!

    Finally, MBP. Compared to a BlackBook, the MBP has a bigger screen, gfx card, and non-glossy screen. For myself, Im not sure if that worth the few extra hundred dollars. Also, then there's the "update". Everyone says theres an update coming, so hold off. I have been holding off for over a year. But if I buy now, and a newer model comes out a month later (like when I bought my 1.8GHz G5 and a month later DUALS came out for the same price) I'll probably turn to self mutilation.

    I really don't know what to do. I really love the iMac also, which HDD's is 7200 RPM. But I really want a laptop so I can take it anywhere. Also in the apartment I live in we can only pick up a wireless signal in the bathroom and next to the kitchen sink. Right now I'm sitting on the toilet typing this. (I'm fully dressed, so no bad thoughts!)
  2. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

    Sep 25, 2007
    New England
    I have a MBP and sold it , but I can say that the best way to satisfy my needs and answer the questions was going to the local Apple Store and using there systems there. ASK ASK ASK is all I can say, I am kind of new to Apple but the macbook mite be just what will satisfy your needs, if you have the extra money than get the MBP. Order with a large hd maybe a better option.

    I used mine for emai, web , web development and blogging.
  3. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

    Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I just got a Black MB and added 4GB Ram to it (it replaced a version 1 white MB that my youngest daughter poured water into...sigh) and couldnt be happier. It's a great machine and I actually prefer it to my work MBP (lighter, more compact, feels more robust, though I do miss the backlit keys)

    If you can wait I would do as it seems likely something will happen with the MBP line (though it could just be a minor speed bump, who knows), but bottom line whatever you buy will be superseded within months of purchase. Its just a fact you need to get used to and instead focus on what you want to do and get the machine that fits.

    I have a G4 Powerbook that is still going strong by way of example ;-)

  4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Jul 29, 2005
    Blackbook would be fine. I would tell most people to get a Macbook Air but lots of people on MacRumors are powerusers and getting a Macbook Air assumes you already have a main computer witch you do not have.

    I assume you already have a external monitor correct?
  5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    I also think a blackbook or even the top whitebook would suit your needs.
  6. Yves Creebs macrumors newbie

    Feb 5, 2008
    Definitely macbook.

    The mbp is overkill. larger screen is the only reason to go MBP in your case.

    The power these machines are putting out these days are enough for even a power user. I work in broadcast design and we have a couple of the new iMacs running After Effects, Pshop and Flash at blazingly fast speeds.

    I'm just giving you peace of mind that even the 'consumer grade' products are plenty powerful for what you need.
  7. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Feb 5, 2007
    Yes, an old 17" Fullscreen (yuck) Apple Studio Display.

    I want the black since everyone I've seen with a MacBook has a white. That and I like the look of the black better.

    The entry level MBP is almost the same as the top of the line MB. I like the smaller screen, though non-glossy would be nice.

    I might pony-up tomorrow and get a Blackbook. Or I'll wait a few more weeks. I HATE spending money. (Don't start making Jew comments, and I am not anyway.) I even speed up through amber lights so I dont have to stop at red lights and idle wasting gas. I could obviously live without a new MacBook, but would make things a little easier, and a little more enjoyable I guess.

    My girlfriend will be jealous though. She has a White MacBook 1.83GHz CD 512MB RAM, 60HDD. And I'd have a 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB RAM (OWC), 160HDD. Oh well, it'll look cute sitting next to each other at Panera.
  8. jonswan macrumors regular

    Jul 26, 2007
    I'd wait till Feb 26th at least - that seems to be the most realistic date for some well overdue MBP updates.

    And to the crass, vaguely anti-semitic comment near the bottom of your post, leave it out - I don't suppose anybody here gives a damn about what you do with your money. Ultimately nobody likes simply throwing money away, and that is partly what you risk doing so close to an update.
  9. a104375 macrumors 6502


    Oct 8, 2007
    Matamoras, PA
    i would think simple things would be fine on a mb but if your looking to do more extensive things i would wait for the update
  10. trojanman2011 macrumors newbie

    Aug 8, 2007
    Astounded at MBA Performance

    I was shocked when I installed Halo (UB version) on my MBA today and was able to crank it up to full 1280x800 resolution with settings on medium or high. I got a constant 20-30 fps, quite playable. Only noticed a little slowdown in very intense action sequences with a large number of enemies and explosions onscreen, and even this was not to the point that it was unplayable. Overall it looks far better than anything in the original console release.

    For those of you harping on the "underpowered" MBA, I think this stands a testament to how much power it actually packs. Considering the slow HD and integrated graphics card, I really was blow away by the little bugger's performance.

    Just chiming in my two cents here. I currently own a 24 inch 2.8 ghz iMac and a 1.6 ghz HDD MBA, which replaced by 2.2 ghz macbook w/4gb RAM. For what it's worth, I'd take the MBA any day over a standard MB. The performance gap is hardly noticeable unless you're doing really high end stuff. Even photoshop and illustrator run fine on here. iMovie and iPhoto work great as well. The style and portability far outweigh the minor hardware limitations.

    Again, just my opinion so please don't flame me with the wrath of 1,000 nerds. Please.

Share This Page