MBA bootcampin' windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iphoneuser2040, Jul 12, 2012.

1. iphoneuser2040 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I own a 2011 MBA 11" 128gb i5 4gb

Looking to bootcamp Windows 8 when it comes out, however want to test out Windows 7 until then. I have a copy of Windows 7 Enterprise.

My question is how large is the operating system upon a fresh install via bootcamp? Space on MBAs is precious and I want to allocate as little space as possible to the operating system so i can install a game or two on that partition. Realistically I can't afford to make the partition any more than 20 - 25gb.

Do you think I can get Win 7 Enterprise (and what about Win 8?) down to under 10gb? So far methods I know of are:-
    getting rid of Hibernate/standby file
    reducing paging size to 4gb (that of the RAM)
    uninstall windows stuff which I won't use such as Outlook (can this be done!?)

Any other suggestions? I know my way around computers but not looking to do anything to crazy like starting to search through unwanted registry files etc (don't want to muck anything up).

Cheers

2. KPOM macrumors G5

For starters, I'd suggest using the 32-bit version, as it takes up less space. Enterprise takes up a lot of space (it is essentially the Ultimate version). Maybe consider if Home Premium would be enough.

3. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

32-bit for sure, I think it was in the 12GB range when all was said and done. Be sure to shrink your page swap file (equal to amount of RAM, shrink by 75% will save about 3 GB), but you can't do this until after the install. I recently made a Windows 8 consumer preview bootcamp partition on 64 bit and after page swap shrink it was somewhere around 20GB.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Also, consider using Winclone 3.3 to back up your Windows partition. If necessary, you can also use it to resize your partition. It is now a $20 utility (previous versions were free), but it's well worth it.

I'd check out the Windows on Mac forum here for more tips.

5. cvam1985 macrumors regular

I highly recommend using something like VMWare Fusion (it's what I use) over Bootcamp.

Running both OS'es together has major advantages for me on the Air - mainly storagewise.

As far as I know when using Bootcamp, you have to allocate a certain amount of your disk space to the Windows partition. When you run it as a VM, you only need the size of the machine and you can share disk space between the two OS'es.

In this manner, Windows only takes about 13-16 gigs of space on my Air.

6. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Yup, the only real advantages to bootcamp are native power for gaming and other graphically intensive windows programs.