Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy0010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
This was originally a post on my blog (http://www.jimmy0010.wordpress.com) but I thought some of you guys may find it of interest...

Right, so this is my first post from the MacBook Air. This things begs to be written on, like an over-enthusiastic school child. "Come on! Please do a blog from me! It'll be fun... you could do it from an airplane if you wanted, or the dark! Or anywhere where weight is restricted...Im just that light!"

Buying this, was the most expensive thing I've ever bought. It gave me quite a thrill typing in my PIN, the amount on the display showing £1,199, I can see quite easily how people get themselves head and shoulders into debt, if only for the thrill of making the transaction.

Taking it home on the train, I was convinced I was gonna get mugged. I presumed Apple would give me the box in a generic, non-descript, white bag; but they decided a very expensive matt-black, far from generic, MacBook Air plastered carrier would be more suitable. Me being not the most surly of guardians, a smash-and-grab would of been childs-play.

People criticize the fact that apple spend a lot of time designing the containers their products come in, I think its genius. Unpacking my MacBook, it was more like the packaging of an expensive set of jewelry, or artisan bath-salts, if such things exist; giving the consumer, me, a sense of importance, generating a positive and exciting experience from the moment I peel back the cellophane. Apple stack aesthetics and their quest to be unique high on their list of important factors, and reflecting that in the packaging is a fantastic idea; why not portray the whole ethos of your company in the boxes you use?

When you buy a Dell computer, and I've bought several, the box it comes in is a brown, clumsy, uninteresting affair, with polythene and stryrofoam littering the room, as you unbox the equaly uninspired device inside; and although many will see the box something comes in as unimportant, I see at more as a taster of what you're gonna get in the long run. With Apple you get a sleek, perfectly designed, aesthetically pleasing and minimalist container, reflecting the computer and OS itself. With say, a Dell, and I'm only using Dell because I've owned Dell, you get an over-packaged, clumsy, ugly thing, that only just about does the job, with components often missing or difficult to assemble; again reflecting the experiences you can expect from a Dell and Windows OS.

I defy anyone to 'un-box' an Apple computer, and not get a little bit excited.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Although I don't own a MBA, I do know of that which you speak. I personally can really appreciate all that Apple puts into aesthetics. Everything from the packaging, power supply to the hardware itself. I'm glad Apple can pay so much attention to small details, as well as the larger ones and still turn out a large profit (mainly due to the Apple Tax ;)).

Squelch

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
TLH, FL
I completely understand. I got a rather large bonus toward the end of 2007, and spent much of it on new Apple products. I got an Apple TV, my wife a MacBook, a new Mac Pro, an Air, and a Time Capsule.

I just received the Time Capsule a few days ago and unboxed it, and now I'm already going through withdrawal, not being able to open any new Apple stuff for a long time...

Maybe I should get a 23" Cinema Display. Hmm...

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
All part of the JRDF. The Air came in a little bag like a boutique shop's, and the box is indeed like buying something special from a high-end department store - While XPS notebooks arrive in white cardboard instead of brown (whoo wee) and Sony's over-cardboarded / bagged packaging is just as unimpressive. It does make unboxing an occasion - I especially love the iPod universal dock packaging, I think that's a packaging design highlight of Apple.

Now if they'd turn their legendary eye for detail to quality engineering instead of indulging their designers, I'd think what emerged from the box was better than what came out of boring Dell and Sony boxes.

beast

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
UK
mmmmmm.... you've got to love that new mac smell :D

(Apple should bottle it and sell it)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
If a company truly cares about its products, it would care from the intial blue prints to the trip out the door and as you unbox it into your own hands.

Hence, a vintage Mac complete in box is worth lots of money, a vintage Dell complete in box is worth ZERO.... :D

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
The cherished unboxing of an Apple product has become a time-honored tradition. Never before with any other product, from high-end stereos to TVs, have I had such a good feeling opening a box. Even opening a $49 dollar Shuffle is a rush.

I swear, if you were to ask the average 10 year to take all the feelings he got on Christmas morning and squeeze them into a little box, he'd hand you something pretty close to that of an Apple.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
mmmmmm.... you've got to love that new mac smell :D

(Apple should bottle it and sell it)

Funny that you mention it but I salivate when I smell that mac smell and they all have this same smell... I wonder if apple has their own fragrance that they use (I read in articles that companies actually do this).

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Of all the Macs I've had, the MBA box beats them all hands down for packaging.

It's incredibly sturdy and 'high grade', and the way it lifts off the base and reveals the MBA is just droolsome. Oozes quality. Just like the MBA itself :)

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
The best two unboxings I have ever done in my life were for the two MBAs I got.

I am still waiting for my third :D

Unboxing the iphone was cool but nothing compared to the sexiness of the MBA!

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
I agree but now the box just sits there in my closet taking up space next to my MBP box..iPhone box.. I just cant part with these empty Apple boxes.:eek: How about you guys? Still have your MBA box or have you tossed it?:)

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
Well, I unfortunately have not had the funds (or a justification) to purchase the MBA, but I still have the box that my MBP came in last August. And I have my apple keyboard box, mighty mouse box, and the box to my airport express. Admittedly none of these (save my perfect, wonderful, thrilling MBP) are particularly exciting devices, I still keep the boxes. Even something as mundane as a keyboard seems special when you open that wonderful white box.

Oh, and I can smell the Apple Store from about a block away. ;)

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
When I unboxed my MBA I felt that special opening presents on christmas feeling. I totally agree that buying and opening an apple product is unique and a great feeling. The packaging SCREAMS quality. I never knew what I was missing until unboxed my first MAC product- my iPhone. The MBA was even better, and it truly is a wonderful experience!

houstonray

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Still have all of my MBA packaging. It's so true, I just can't bear to part with it! This is my first ever (!) Apple product, my MBA was a birthday gift, and when I unwrapped the package and opened the box, I was captivated. My first comment was how amazing it was that a company went to so much trouble to package something. I felt like it was something from an Art Museum.

Can't wait to get my next Apple product, iPhone 2.0 and Apple TV, later this summer! I will assume they are appropriately packaged? LOL!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The packaging does indeed scream quality. It looks like something you'd buy from an exclusive department store. I love the Apple packaging designs and the Air (along with the boutique-like bag, if you got that) is one of the highlights.

Shame the quality doesn't extend to the POS's inside all that packaging.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I completely understand. I got a rather large bonus toward the end of 2007, and spent much of it on new Apple products. I got an Apple TV, my wife a MacBook, a new Mac Pro, an Air, and a Time Capsule.

I just received the Time Capsule a few days ago and unboxed it, and now I'm already going through withdrawal, not being able to open any new Apple stuff for a long time...

Maybe I should get a 23" Cinema Display. Hmm...

Even the packaging on the displays is just as impressive. I bought a 23" on Friday. The box is black and shows the monitor displaying the default Leopard background. You cut the tape sealing the box and open the flap after laying the box flat on the floor. Huge styrofoam pieces protect the monitor. Like everything else, the monitor is wrapped in that protective "cellaphane" like stuff. Then there is the instruction booklets packed in a little folder allong with the nice cleaning cloth that is different than what you get with other Apple computers.

I didn't discover the brightness and power buttons on the side of the monitor till late last night after I got up from admiring the box some more. :) It sure is a sexy looking monitor.

daveseibert

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Iowa City, IA
Save your box!

I would ABSOLUTELY recommend keeping your box, for ANY apple product. Apple products are great because they retain their resale value, which means in a couple of years, when you want to upgrade, you can get a decent price for it. But, having the original box will make it much more marketable. Do yourself a favor and store it away somewhere safe.

My MBA's comin' tomorrow... I'm quite excited, and you can bet I'll be stashing that box away somewhere.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The MacBook Air is essentially a large iPod classic/iPod touch/iPhone box. Same style with the laptop on a plastic tray and all the other stuff accessible underneath.

The MacBook/MacBook Pro boxes are pretty cool too - amazing how much thinner even the boxes are compared to the iBook/PowerBook counterparts.

dzhiurgis

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
I agree but now the box just sits there in my closet taking up space next to my MBP box..iPhone box.. I just cant part with these empty Apple boxes.:eek: How about you guys? Still have your MBA box or have you tossed it?:)

Here, in Lithuania we kind of have to keep our boxes, because if you get your :apple: to warranty without the original boxing they are kind of not responsible for 'transportation damages'.. Yeah pretty sucks living in post-soviet country :) anyways I was thinking how I would need to scotch-tape that pretty MBA box and then remembered on funny thing.
Few months ago I was doing some iPhone unlocking 'business' (more like a service), until ZiPhone wasn't out. Anyways, a guy came to me with an iPhone bought from a local electronics supermarket (yes, an unlocked iphone sold with a big local brand, and yes our Apple premium retailer haven't done anything to stop it (I told you it's sucks in Lithuania)). So back to the topic - the iPhone he gave me was ugly scotch-taped with a printed notice on a white paper "DO NOT SOFTWARE UPDATE" :) which he did indeed and supermarket told him: "there's a bunch of students who can re-do the unlock for you" :eek:
Anyways, good for me :)

As for unboxing, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS89zUxtgM :) altough I was loughing too when unpacking The Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.