MBA buy or don't buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NikChyz, Jul 31, 2014.

1. NikChyz macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm looking to jump into the Mac world real soon but I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. Should I go ahead and buy the latest MBA or should I wait until the rumored one is released in October.

I'm a University student from Canada and they have a "Student price" of $949 plus a $110 apple STORE gift card with your purchase. Do you think the cost and incentive outweighs the new specs and potential design of the new one?

Thanks for your help!

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

There is no release of a new mba this year.

Buy now. They are nice and cheap.

3. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I'm personally waiting for a Retina MacBook Air, although that would come in 2015 at the earliest, and I doubt they would release it in the summer where educational buyers would get a discount plus an App Store gift card. If you can't wait at least half a year, I would recommend buying the current model this summer.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Probably not, but then there's this….

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/18/12-inch-retina-macbook-delayed/

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If you need a Mac, buy one now, and take advantage of the various offers which are available. However, if you merely want one, I'd suggest that you wait a while, and see what transpires.

Moreover, whenever a brand new design, or technology is unveiled, I, personally wait at least six months before investing in it, simply because that is the length of time it may take to sort out any unforeseen glitches in a new system or technology.

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

This is solid advice. Sometimes it's better to wait for second generation releases.

7. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

Just Google around the web. There's plenty of information on the new Airs coming out in a few months.

According to 9TO5 MAC:

8. Kurso macrumors 6502

I'm with the crowd that does not expect new MBAs to ship until Q1 2015. Ht problem is there won't be any new Haswell chips in the line used for the MBA between now and the end of the year. In addition the Broadwell line that will be used for the MBA won't be available in volume until Q1 at the earliest.

What I am hoping to get in the fall is a pre-announcement much like the new Mac Pro. I doubt we will get it because there isn't the same pressure on Apple to do so.

9. llarc84 macrumors newbie

llarc84

I would get it now if you need it now, OP. I understand wanting to get the latest and greatest, but in my opinion you should always make a purchase based on need first and then want second. Does the latest MacBook Air serve your needs?

Along with that, I would also venture over to the refurbished section of the Apple Store and take a look at what you see there as you may be able to save yourself even more money on one of the previous models. I just purchased last year's MacBook Air model although I could have gotten this years model. Why? Because last years model served my needs just fine for the next few years.

If you don't need one right now and its more of a want, and you have the cash to spare, then waiting doesn't really hurt you.

10. iterva macrumors regular

+1

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

At that price, I would buy it and never look back, no matter what models come out in the future.

12. iFapperPro macrumors newbie

+1
    Did just like he said.

13. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

If you need need (want) the laptop now, then buy it now. If you are one of the "I must have the latest & greatest" guys, then by all means wait.

I have a 13" mid 2013 i7 / 8 / 512 and it's one of the best machines I've owned. No looking back. ;)

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. As it happens, I have the exact same machine and it is outstanding; indeed, it is by far the best computer I have ever owned.

15. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I too have this outstanding Air model and simply could not be happier. Best Apple laptop I've yet owned, and I've owned at least a dozen of them.

16. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have the 11" with the same specs. It's my all-time favorite computer as well, and I go all the way back to the "Fat Mac" 512k in 1985 (Apple ][ before that). :)

17. medic27 macrumors member

If you want to save money, the non-retina airs look good with Netflix.
    Even the 4K youtube videos look good without retina.

Depending on your major, the i5 with 4gb ram would be sufficient.

18. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I was going to upgrade my MBA 2011 this year, but read, the new MBA won't be released until next year, 2015. I'm waiting, but you're a student, so you should consider purchasing now.

19. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I upgraded from a 2011 to a 2013 MBA one year ago. The current model is already a big upgrade from 2011 IMO… :)

USB 3.0
    significantly longer battery life
    faster wifi (802.11ac)
    8gb RAM (4gb was the max available in 2011)
    faster SSD (also 512gb which wasn't available in 2011)
    faster processors

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, this is a very good summary of the improvements. The speed, improved memory, responsiveness, and excellent battery are all quite striking.

21. faxao macrumors regular

I have just bought from the Apple store one refurbished, maxed out mid 2013 MBA (1.7Ghz/8GB ram/512GB SSD) to replace my early 2011 MBA and I must say it really is a stunning machine.

I do not really care whether a new retina MBA (or whatever) will be out in the next 6 to 12 months. If you need it buy it now and you won't be disappointed ! :p

22. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Buy it tomorrow.
    You will wish you bought it last week.
    I have the base model MBA 13'
    Best product I have ever purchased, of any type.

I buy new models not refurb.
    The refurbs available in Toronto are usually a prior model and not worth the discount to me.
    Apple products retain their value - had an iMac for 3½ years and sold it for 45% of what I paid.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

All still rumors, but do what you will with that information.

24. faxao macrumors regular

Mid 2013 and early 2014 MBAs do share the same specs if I am not wrong, in particular on the 1.7Ghz version.

The refurb, mid 2013 maxed-out version is cheaper than same specs early 2014 one (some 20% off at least in Italy).