Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachmo360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
I've been eagerly awaiting the announcement of the new haswell MBAs for the last two months as I need a new laptop, and my hearts set on a MBA. The trouble is, having now seen the new specs, I'm unsure wether it is powerful enough. I know about the megahertz myth and all that but will a 1.3 ghz i5 8gb ram 13" be enough for my needs or will I need the 1.7 i7??
My uses are: Basic Internet, Netflix, word processing, photo editing in iPhoto/apeture (very basic- no raw files), maybe a bit of iMovie, occasional light usage VMs and 3D modelling in sketchup with rendering add-on (building architecture, not professional but design houses for a hobby!). Also, in the future how long will it last and will I be able to run more advanced 3D programmes like AutoCad??
Any advice would be great!

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I've been eagerly awaiting the announcement of the new haswell MBAs for the last two months as I need a new laptop, and my hearts set on a MBA. The trouble is, having now seen the new specs, I'm unsure wether it is powerful enough. I know about the megahertz myth and all that but will a 1.3 ghz i5 8gb ram 13" be enough for my needs or will I need the 1.7 i7??
My uses are: Basic Internet, Netflix, word processing, photo editing in iPhoto/apeture (very basic- no raw files), maybe a bit of iMovie, occasional light usage VMs and 3D modelling in sketchup with rendering add-on (building architecture, not professional but design houses for a hobby!). Also, in the future how long will it last and will I be able to run more advanced 3D programmes like AutoCad??
Any advice would be great!

I would assume u would want an i7 for autocad. I am a developer and I upgraded to the i7 for it compiling speed.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
8GB i7 based on your usage. Make sure you get a big enough SSD for your needs.

The only issue I see with the i7 is that you will not get 9 hours of battery, I've ordered an i7 maxed out 11' today and I'm having seconds thoughts as the tech specs page is mentioning all battery tests were performed on i5 processor, I wonder how much battery you get on i7?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The only issue I see with the i7 is that you will not get 9 hours of battery, I've ordered an i7 maxed out 11' today and I'm having seconds thoughts as the tech specs page is mentioning all battery tests were performed on i5 processor, I wonder how much battery you get on i7?
As I mentioned in your other thread, the i7 has the same power draw according to Intel's web site. The difference on the battery time should be minimal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.