MBA buzzes when playing music at max vol - check this out.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ryan.apham, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ryan.apham macrumors member

My friend complaint that his MacBook Air 13" 2011 does buzz a little bit though when blasting music at maximum volume. Additionally, it does not sound as loud as he expected. It seems that something blocks the internal speaker.

I helped him check out, and this is what I have found out.

In this forum, some people have said that it is owing to the backlit cover which blocks the sound. I do not have the 2010 Air model, nor does my friend, so I cannot confirm this story.

I inspected his laptop for a while, and then when I removed his keyboard protector, it seems that the volume is 50% louder :D.

And it even seems that the buzz effect reduces a lot though. You have to be really anal to detect the buzz effect. It is there (of course, it is just an built-in speaker), but it is really really hard to realise the buzz effect.

I inspected further, and have found out that quality of sound maybe a key factor. When playing 320 kbps quality songs, it runs smoothly. With 128 kbps songs, it only buzzes here and there at around 70-80% volume, but then at 100%, the loud volume > effect :D.

So the morals of the whole story are:
    1. Do not use a keyboard protector :D.
    2. Do not store cheap music in your laptop ;).

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

320k songs are pretty big for something with such limited storage space. And yes, a keyboard protector will definitely muffle the sound on the MBAs and 13" MBP.

3. ryan.apham thread starter macrumors member

So you mean the lessons are:
    1. Store 320 kbps songs on external hdd or online (such as iCloud)
    OR
    2. Do not store 320 kbps songs
    AND
    3. Do not buy MacBook Air
    :D.

4. Chopstick217 macrumors regular

Chopstick217

Mine had the same issue and I got an exchange. It hasnt occurred since.

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Depending on the loudness of the source music, you shouldn't be running your built in speakers at 100% volume anyway. For "quiet" type music like classical, then running at 100% should be acceptable. But most modern music these days have been increased in loudness several fold. You can damage or blow your speakers by running them at 100%.

If you want your music loud, you should use external speakers, or plug in some headphones.