MBA Camera busted

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Obscurelight, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Hi there, my current situation is that my MBA camera is no longer recognized. I cannot use the photo booth, FaceTime, nor any other webcam related stuff. The green light next to the camera does light up but no camera hardware is found.

I would like to know has anyone experienced this? Is there something I can do myself other than take it to the genius bar? Also if it is found to be a defective camera will I get a whole new MBA rather than them opening mine up?

If a replacement is warranted then I might save this genius bar visit somewhere down the line in case when I really want a replacement since I rarely use my webcam at all (My sister tried using it for video chat with overseas relatives and it didn't work. Thats how I found out.) Thanks for your time.

All my software is updated to the latest and it's the newest generation of MBA released this july.

2. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Sounds like its under warranty. I'd bring it to the genius bar. If its broken, they will replace the camera, not the whole MBA. Not sure why you are "saving visit" to the genius bar... there isn't a limit to how many times you can have them do stuff.

3. Obscurelight thread starter macrumors 6502

In case I find major battery deterioration or something I guess, or problems that would make me want a replacement but wouldn't warrant one. I figured with such a thin display they wouldn't open it up and just replace it. I have no experience with mac repairs at the genius bars though thats why I'm trying to find out.