MBA cannot find startup disk. Need help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by francis21, Jan 12, 2012.

1. francis21 macrumors member

Hey guys, I ran into a problem just earlier in the day.

So I remember that I've left my MBA into hibernation mode yesterday evening. Then I woke up today, and my MBA didn't resume. And the problem was that it has no charge left. Then I charged it. So then I was right.

Then I booted up my computer. Then shut it down and I just let it charge up. Couple of hours later, I saw the folder with a question mark icon blinking on startup. I've encountered the problem several days ago but after a reboot it was able to boot up again. But this time it didn't work.

I upgraded my SSD to a OWC mercury pro 6G. Then i opened my computer up to make sure the SSD didnt move. Still didn't work.

Now, i opened a recovery of my time machine back up to access disk utility. And it says the following on the screen about my ssd.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Seems like you have to start ( at this point ) by using disk utility and formatting your ( newly installed I guess ) ssd.

Then use lion internet recovery to do an install of the mac os x lion from apple. Depending on bandwidth available that may take a while ( or go to an apple store where there is a whole bunch of bandwidth ).

I would finish the mac os x install process by using a different login name ( not your real apple id etc ) and then after that install finishes do the time machine recovery thing ... you should end up with two different admin accounts one from your time machine backup and the other one from your install.

Make sure everything is all hunky dory and completely square before even considering removing that temporary install admin login.