MBA Cases/Travel Accesories that you use

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nd3eb, Jan 4, 2012.

1. nd3eb macrumors member

Hey guys,

So i'm getting my first MBA delivered tomorrow (mid-2011, high end 11 inch) and I'm looking to buy a case and/or a new backpack or messenger bag for it. I own two restaurants and live in NYC so I'm constantly on the move. I previously owned a macbook pro and have just been using a regular backpack for transport, but i'm ready for something new and maybe something thats made for MBA.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to get a neoprene sleeve as well as a backpack or messenger bag. I also have an iPad 2, so ideally the bag I get would be able to fit both as well as a charger, accessories, and some other personal items.

Just wondering what you guys use and how you like them (also things you've used in the past and didn't like).

Thanks in advance!

2. New2MacOS macrumors member

I travel with an iPad2 and an MBA i5 11 inside a leather Hammerhead sleeve in a Tumi slim solutions backpack, with plenty of room for chargers, files, etc. I hope this helps.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Stm messenger which fits my 11" mba, a book, adapter, USB cable, headphones and some pens. I guess you could fit the iPad instead of the book. Oh and I have a clear Speck case which I absolutely love. I prefer it over a sleeve and the 11" is pretty thin so the case doesn't add that much.

4. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

5. No-Me macrumors 6502a

6. bbhegedus macrumors regular

bbhegedus

7. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I use this (Booq Vyper) when I'm traveling. Its a little thicker than other cases, but durability-wise, its the best. I don't fill the pockets like they've got pictured, just the MBA. And I slip this into my bag/briefcase/suitcase and I'm good to go.

8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I use this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    It's $11 on Amazon, works very nicely, and is very discrete.

As a student though, I do throw it in a padded compartment in my Belkin Core compact backpack. You're probably not going for any sort of student look though lol

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Timbuk2 small messenger or leather backpack by Piel

10. Kendo macrumors 68000

11. MustangMatt69 macrumors newbie

MustangMatt69

Bedford (UK), London (UK) and Banff (Canada)

Attached Files:

12. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

13. darkheroz macrumors member

14. anirudh macrumors 6502

I am debating getting this case for my 13" Air. How sturdy would you say it is? I was looking for a hard case, and all I could find was this and the Hard Candy one. Is the material really solid and not flimsy like the neoprene ones? I plan to put just the air into this and throw it in a pack back. Some recent threads have got me worried about the marks on the screen due to the keypad and casing :(

15. YosemiteSam81 macrumors member

YosemiteSam81

Personally speaking, I have had no issues with the keyboard leaving marks on the screen. I can only think that comes from applying a consistant & strong force on the laptop screen while in a bag.

16. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I use this for travelling and transporting..

http://www.tucanousa.com/shop/finatex-extra-small-3.html

.. and this is the sleeve I have for it during normal, everyday use..

http://mintcases.com/products-page/macbook-air-11/macbook-air-11-leather-sleeve-dark-brown/

The Tucano case is nice and compact, has sufficient protection, can also fit an iPad, and has a pocket that I can fit my charger, headphones, external hard drive, and iPod in comfortably.

The MintCase is made of high quality leather and has a great look. BUT if you are the type that likes to put your Mac in the sleeve and into the case, then you'd be better off getting the 13" Tucano bag, as it does not fit the MBA with the sleeve.

17. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The smallest case I have found which holds both a Macbook Air (11 or 13) and an iPad is the leather MacCase "Flight Jacket". It also has a clip on pouch for the power supplies and cables and fits easily in my carry-on bag for transport when traveling.

http://mac-case.com/Leather Site/MacCasePLJackets.html

The STM Scout XS Messenger holds a 11" Macbook Air and iPad comfortably with good padding. There are other sizes available as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H4WKHG/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

-howard

18. hh83917 macrumors 6502

I use the Metrolite XF from Brenthaven for my 13"MBA, iPad, and other cables and stuff. I travel abroad with this backpack all the time and it'll be with me to Asia this Feb. as well.
    http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-metrolite-xf-black.html

Been a long time fan of Brenthaven bags and they are like new even after years. Very protective and well made. :)

19. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Hey, sorry for the delayed reply. Yeah, its definitely sturdy and solid. Not at all like neoprene sleeves. The outside seems to be made of something really durable, and the inside is padded with neoprene and something soft (fleece?). It will hold up very well in a backpack full of books/binders/misc crap, in my opinion, to keep the MBA from having excess pressure on it... I have it for the 11" and it works great. I'd imagine it'd be the same for the 13"...

Edit: Also, and I haven't tested this out, but apparently the Vyper cases are water resistant too, so you don't have to worry too much when its raining.

20. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

Here is what I use. I picked up the camo "map" bag at a local Army Navy surplus store for about $20.00 and I use the leather folder thing when I want to show off.

[​IMG]

21. glen e macrumors 68030

travel for a living and do about 5 flights a week and 3 hotels - my unbeatable combo is a Timbuk2 Commute 2.0, a bookbook for MBA, smartcover and zum ultimate for ipad2.

I also have a waterfield Cargo for larger trips with training materials...

can't say enuf about waterfield and Timbuk2...both killer products...

22. Fastball32 macrumors member

I keep it protected with a Zagg shield, then put a Speck cover over it.
    The Speck cover does not fit perfectly when you apply the Zagg shield, but I feel it is still better protected that way, so kept it this way.

Then I place it inside a twelve south Bookbook when I take it in my backpack or when I leave it on a table so that it looks like furniture.