MBA charger not working properly

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by docgerrard, Apr 8, 2012.

1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

Sometimes, even though my charger is plugged in, it does not light up and my computer does not sense that it is charging. I then simply remove the charger from my computer and plug it back in. I do not do anything else, and plug it in immediately after unplugging it. Then all of a sudden it starts charging again.

1) What do you think the problem is?
    2) Should I take it in to the Apple store?
    3) I took a video on my iPhone. It clearly shows the issue. My phone is jailbroken though. Would showing my phone to the apple store people be an issue?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like your connection isn't secure sometimes. See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. Also, your battery won't charge if it's already between 93-99%. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

It is clearly plugged in if thats what you mean by the connection not being secure!

Otherwise, wouldn't that mean it was a problem? The charger or my computer has something wrong that makes the connection not secure?

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I've heard of people having damaged connectors on the tip of their charger (i.e. the gold pins being bent or misaligned).

If you're having issues and the laptop is under warranty, I'd just take it to an Apple Store.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the troubleshooting tips I mentioned.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I have a similar problem with both my chargers (purchased at the same time), although very rarely. It happens about once or twice a month or so. This has been discusse before, and the consensus seemed to be that some of the chargers might be somewhat defective and Apple will probably swap it out for you if you complain. Personally, I'm waiting until the issue becomes more frequent before going and getting them swapped out.

7. supernet33 macrumors regular

I had the same issue with my MBA. They Had to send it In for repair, they changed everything but the logicboard to fix it.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Mine was replaced (by Apple) a few months ago as it no longer worked.

9. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

Take the charger and computer into the apple store, show them the issue and they will replace it. My MBA charger went out only a few months after purchase and it was very easy to replace.