MBA charging and battery issues confirmed by my local Genius Bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Nesper, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Nesper macrumors newbie

Well i have had my MBA for a few weeks now, (bought it local private sale) at first everything seemed good, i had not noticed any real problems. Unlike most of the other MBA's on this forum, I never had core shut down or over heating, never noticed any unusual fan noise, or hard drive noises, so over all i was very happy with the sweet deal i got! :)

BUT, early this week i started to notice unusually long charging times and even quicker battery drain times! :eek: I know i shouldn't, but i based all the times on the times i see with my MBP. so i dropped into my local apple store, (less then 3 miles away :D) with a full charge, when i turned on my MBA the battery 98%, i had one of the apple genius confirm that level. After about a 15 minute wait (net surfing) my battery level dropped to 83%, when i sat at the, bar the genius had me explain what was going on, so i did, and he ran some quick tests, then connected it to a charger, at this point it was at 79%, he told me he was going to charge it for an hour and to come back. A little over a hour later i returned he told me it was at 82% :p, so he told me he suspects that:

A. The battery is bad (after 8 cycles) :(
    B. The logic board is bad :(

I was relived that both parts were in stock, so turn-around i was told would be about 2-4 days.

It sucks carrying my MBP after carrying the MBA for 2 weeks, but not as bad as the guys in the coffee shop on DELLs! :cool:

*obtw i ALWAYS buy with apple care so this is all covered. A lot of questions have been asked about transferring names on the apple care plan especially when buying from private sale. I thought i would mention that it is not easy, but very possible to get apple care transferred into another name over the phone! it took me about 1 hour, 3 people and a level 2 supervisor, but i got it done! :rolleyes:

I will let you guys know what they tell me about my MBA when i hear from them. :apple:

Thanks for looking, i hope this helps anyone with similar problems.

~Jb

2. Nesper thread starter macrumors newbie

oooooo its done :)

lady on my voicemail did not say what they fixed, but its ready!

:cool: I will update you guys tonight after i pick it up.

3. bart rijksen macrumors regular

That's good. enjoy. Hope my mbp stays problem free;)

4. Nesper thread starter macrumors newbie

Well turns out it was the battery, so new ones installed, we'll see what happens. :)

5. PLin macrumors 6502

I wonder if this is the same problem I had the other day. After 12 hours of charging, the LED was still orange, and I was still only at 99%. I also have AppleCare, so I'm not worried. I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

6. TheRiseofTheFal macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

i have a weird battery issue, I left my MBA plugged in all night and connected my iphone to charge. I wake up this morning and the battery of the MBA is completely drained whilst my iphone is completely charged. I get to the airport start charging my battery, get to about eh 20% in 30 mins which i was happy about. Used it on my flight died during the cross country flight, which i Expected. I now have an hour long layover plug in the MBA and sit here using it after 20 mins of charging it says 0% charge !?!?! i unplug charger and plug it back in it jumps to 2% 45 mins later its at 16% and only shows gains if i unplug and then plug in my charger...what the heck is going on!! coconutbattery, istat pro, and batteryhealth monitor all show 97-98% health I dont know whats up anyone else seen this happen before????