MBA CPU max temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by urahoho, Oct 23, 2009.

1. urahoho macrumors newbie

I just got a rev B MBA the highest I have seen my cpu get to was 195 degrees F because it was sitting on my couch. the fan rpm was running at 6500 rpm.

Is this normal? On average mine runs at 160 F something surfing the web, chatting, word processing, etc

What are your temps? Include your rev version

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Yes it's normal. My normal temps are within 80 deg C without blocked vents.

3. MAG. macrumors member

Honestly, I think its a bit too high. Mine is maximum at 82 degree Celsius (Rev A) then the fans kick in and bring it down. Did you have anything blocking the vents? What's your room temperature? (It makes a difference for the Air from my experience)

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You shouldn't let any laptop sit on the couch... you could burn your house down... especially one while blocking the vents. The rev A MBAs normally run much hotter than the rev B/C MBAs. I suggest reinstalling thermal paste if you have problems with it. Bunch of threads on AS5 thermal paste. Can get 10 degrees cooler C.

5. urahoho thread starter macrumors newbie

ok I am going to let it run some more. It only hit 192 F when it was on the couch running stuff. After today and doing a time machine backup, the cpu sits around 160. so not too bad.

6. afr0Man macrumors newbie

Same thing is happening ... crazy temperature (81 - 84 c )
    but the weird thing is my MBA rev.A is dead slow sometimes when i watch Youtube :S and iStat Pro is showing 0000rpm like the fan is not working ! any Ideaz !!!?

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Could be the program that doesn't read the fan correctly

Reset SMC and PRAM

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I really don't understand why Apple would put the vents on the bottom of the computer.:confused:. It makes no sense. It's hard to tell, but are there vents near the hinge like on the MBP?

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It's too thin and the hinge for the screen blocks it anyways. Apple had no choice but to put it under.