MBA creaks like an old man's knees

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TNTN, Jul 25, 2011.

1. TNTN macrumors member

I'm noticing that when I type on my new 13" MacBook Air, it creaks - especially in the bottom left-hand corner.

I think it's the bottom (which appears to be removeable). I'm worried that, if it's this creaky after a few days, what'll it be like after a few years?

Anyone else finding this?

2. marrzie macrumors regular

I had the same issue on 2010 13" air but only when I picked up the machine. Guy st store said they all do that. I made them give me a new one and it was creak free. If it had the samsung ssd and samsung display I would probably try to remove and reseat the bottom. Otherwise I am taking it back. Normal non ocd people would probably just return for a new one not caring about trivial such things as ssd and panel brand.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It stops doing it after a few days, I really wouldn't worry about it.

4. jblock macrumors regular

I had the same issue with mine and exchanged it no problems as the ones on display at the store were solid. I've noticed my new one does this a little, but only when it gets hot. Once it's cooled down it pretty solid again.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Did you try a little bit of WD-40?

(just kidding... :D )

6. marrzie macrumors regular

In Sweden you get 30 days to try the air. Mine never stopped creaking. Wd40 does displace Water I think it Would be safe to use I dont think it would help other than masking the problem not necessarily solving it. Good luck.

7. optmi macrumors member

Creaking

My 13 inch air creaks at the bottom right when I rest my wrist. It's not too annoying and it sure beats the bleeding screen with weak as @!#% hinge I returned the old one for. Bizarre though since the screws seem to be tight that hold it together.

8. mouthster macrumors regular

Take it back. Mine did the same and so I took it in and they replaced the bottom panel and now it's tight and noiseless.

9. R.OG macrumors regular

I had the same problem with my 2010 model. Tightening the bottom screws solved the problem.

10. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

You got one of the Toshiba cracking cases, return it for a Samsung anticrack case

11. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

Mine creaks too. It's obnoxious in a quiet room, so if I'm around an Apple store sometime I might ask them to tighten the screws. Can anyone else confirm that this is actually the problem?

12. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Yes it's a "problem". It does go away after a month or so. If it's that bothersome a little adjust of the screws or re-seating of the plate should fix it.

13. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

My MBA 13" 2010 started doing it last week. Went into an apple store and asked the repair guy to turn tue screws just a bit tighter on the bottom. worked. Don't do it yourself, they use some kind of moronic pentalobe-shaped-screw, you'll ruin it with a torx or the likes. Had the same on my previous unibodies. Usually it takes some time to get it started, but if the screws where not turned tight enough, it might do so from the first day. I think the tightening of the screws also makes the whole more ridgid. but that might be a placebo effect.

14. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

My Air creaks as well, on the lower right side. Its' not that major of an issue, I don't really hear it when I'm typing or resting my palms on it, however I do hear it and feel it when I'm lifting or picking up my Air while the screen is still open. Kind of annoying, but I think I'll live with it.

If it gets worse, I can take it in to get it tightened.