Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Less than 3 months old, my MBA 13 just went black and refused to boot. The geniuses couldn't make it boot either. I was offered a 7 day turnaround so they could "try to fix it."

That just isn't going to cut it for a machine I paid quite a bit of money for and use full time for business. Luckily I don't keep any critical data on it, but use it to remotely control my desktop and servers. Still couldn't afford to be without a travel machine for my trip this week.

I think it's a big hole in Applecare that there is no 24 hour advance RMA-type of option. 7 days of no machine simply isn't tolerable considering the cost.

Ultimately the business rep at the store (who was great to work with) agreed to split the difference with me on an ultimate config since that's the only 4gb config they carry in the store (mine was a custom build with no upgrade other than the 4gb ram). So for about $200 I was out the door with a replacement machine with a bump in cpu speed and double the SSD size.

Makes me concerned for the next time around...

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Makes me concerned for the next time around...
Um. Why?? Sounds like they took pretty good care of you with the CPU upgrade and SSD upgrade. Do you really think Dell or HP would do that for you?

I'm always amazed at the bizarre sense of 'entitlement' displayed by many Mac owners these days.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
I'm concerned because it took 8 hours of my day and over $200 to get a reasonable resolution, and if that particular biz staffer hadn't been in on a Sunday I probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere. I don't know about you, but my time is more valuable than that. Considering I paid $1,700 less than 3 months ago for the machine and the magical applecare warranty, I find it odd that I can't get next-business-day replacement for parts/service the way I do on my Dell machines. Being without the machine for 7 days is ridiculous.

I am trying to be a proponent of Mac hardware for use at my clients, but experiences like this make it very difficult to do so vs. a company like Dell that has very good enterprise response (now on the consumer side, apple has them handily beat for those that can afford it).

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Considering I paid $1,700 less than 3 months ago for the machine and the magical applecare warranty, I find it odd that I can't get next-business-day replacement for parts/service the way I do on my Dell machines.

What is the turn-around time quoted in your Applecare agreement?

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
I think his point is that the turnaround time in the Applecare agreement is inadequate for serious users. He's right--it doesn't match top of the line coverage.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
"I think it's a big hole in Applecare that there is no 24 hour advance RMA-type of option. 7 days of no machine simply isn't tolerable considering the cost."

Does it sound like I did? I am commenting on my surprise at the limited nature of AC, not saying I'm owed something not spelled out in the contract. Hence my concern for the next time around, and dismay re: the idea of expanding apple hardware into my business. Sorry that someone peed in your cheerios this morning ;)

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I am wondering then what motivated the purchase of Applecare, if the SLA is inadequate for your business needs?

Purchasing from a VAR that offers "business class" repair / replacement might have been a better option. Applecare seems like more of a "consumer grade" warranty.

It may be worth mentioning to your sales rep, that Applecare does not meet your business needs, and that you wished Apple would offer a warranty that is more suitable for business users.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Purchasing from a VAR that offers "business class" repair / replacement might have been a better option. Applecare seems like more of a "consumer grade" warranty.QUOTE]

Agreed. Now that my applecare contract is null anyway (new computer) I am going to check into alternatives for the new machine and potential future ones...

actionman133

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
AppleCare is a consumer grade of coverage. Most consumers would be happy with the service that it offers and to be honest, to get a new computer in store on the same day is a pretty darn good result if you ask me.

But if you run a business and this computer would cost you money if it were out of action, then have a backup computer you can use. It's a golden rule for any hardware in any well-oiled business. Have backup keyboards, mice (for desktops) so that if any component fails, you can continue to work while it's being repaired.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
AppleCare is a consumer grade of coverage. Most consumers would be happy with the service that it offers and to be honest, to get a new computer in store on the same day is a pretty darn good result if you ask me.

But if you run a business and this computer would cost you money if it were out of action, then have a backup computer you can use. It's a golden rule for any hardware in any well-oiled business. Have backup keyboards, mice (for desktops) so that if any component fails, you can continue to work while it's being repaired.

Just to reiterate, getting the new machine cost over $200 and was due to the biz rep saving the day - applecare was not involved at all. I am honestly a bit surprised that people are willing to accept a 7 day turnaround even as "consumers" - it would be a real pita to be a student without a computer for a week in this day and age. You can get a $600 dell and have next day repairs/replacement... Now if they extended your applecare coverage date by 7 days every time you had to go without your machine for a week then that would be a different story...

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I am honestly a bit surprised that people are willing to accept a 7 day turnaround even as "consumers" - it would be a real pita to be a student without a computer for a week in this day and age. You can get a $600 dell and have next day repairs/replacement

Entitlement police woo woo. As consumers, we're fine with it, because we don't need business class turnaround, and most of us probably have access to a 2nd machine in case of emergencies.

Stuff happens, and fixing stuff takes time, that's life. No where does Apple state that they will give you a "loaner" machine, which is what it reads like you needed, while your machine is being repaired.

What happens when people take their cars in for multi-day repairs? They either (a) pay out of pocket for a rental (b) make do with a 2nd car (c) use the loaner provided by the dealer or (d) suck it up.

You got lucky by Apple. End of story. I'd like to see you walk into a dealership and walk out with a better car "by splitting the difference."

Oh, by the way, I was a Dell loyalist for years before my first Apple. I had 3 that needed repair, only once did someone come out the next day - the other 2 times, we had to wait for parts, which took a week. To be fair, the parts were non standard - RAM and a hard drive :)

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I am going to have to agree with the thread starter on this one.

It doesn't matter whether or not a person has a computer for business or not. Most users have important needs as well. Take a student that uses their laptop daily. Do you think they can be without a computer for 7 days? That is ridiculous.

I agree that Apple should have a 24 hour exchange or some sort setup in situations like this. The computer was not booting, it was practically dead and they want to fix it? Why not just give him a replacement at the store or ship him one overnight. End of story.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
I am going to have to agree with the thread starter on this one.

It doesn't matter whether or not a person has a computer for business or not. Most users have important needs as well. Take a student that uses their laptop daily. Do you think they can be without a computer for 7 days? That is ridiculous.

I agree that Apple should have a 24 hour exchange or some sort setup in situations like this. The computer was not booting, it was practically dead and they want to fix it? Why not just give him a replacement at the store or ship him one overnight. End of story.

From a technical standpoint, it was pretty interesting to hear them say that they couldn't even determine the problem. Seemed to be some kind of short on the motherboard and/or keyboard. The whole sealed/soldered component thing is definitely a downside when it comes to quick and dirty repairs. But it does make for light and pretty!

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
From a technical standpoint, it was pretty interesting to hear them say that they couldn't even determine the problem. Seemed to be some kind of short on the motherboard and/or keyboard. The whole sealed/soldered component thing is definitely a downside when it comes to quick and dirty repairs. But it does make for light and pretty!

Good point. I actually too wonder what the issue was. I am a student, who needs his laptop next to him at all times. If something like this were to happen that would = disaster.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I agree with OP. It should not take 8 hours to come with this kind of solution. Apple should have just replaced it with ultimate MBA.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
apple is becoming more main stream and is there to stay, apple care is now treating customers like dell,hp and microsoft.

everytime i call it is worse and worse, and the fact i have to call at all is even worse.

last time i called my air had a video issue and they wanted to charge me another full replacement value on my laptop and will refund it when i send the old one back.....great....thanks

on a 3 day old machine, i have always done advanced replacements and all of a sudden its not possible without being charged another full value cost.

no thanks apple......

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I agree with OP. It should not take 8 hours to come with this kind of solution. Apple should have just replaced it with ultimate MBA.

While I agree about the predicament, I highly doubt the OP should have just been given a $400 better computer on the spot. Name me another computer manufacturer who has that policy?

The only reason the OP wasn't given a new machine instantly was that the stores don't stock the lower-end 4GB configs. (I know, I have the same model and had to salivate for a week waiting for it to arrive from China).

So, while I agree that 7-days w/o your machine is not acceptable, this is a fairly specific situation - CTO models that aren't stocked in store going dead.

For the other (I'm only guessing here) 70%+ of people who buy stock models from Apple (Online and B&M) would have walked out moments later with a new machine.

last time i called my air had a video issue and they wanted to charge me another full replacement value on my laptop and will refund it when i send the old one back.....great....thanks

on a 3 day old machine, i have always done advanced replacements and all of a sudden its not possible without being charged another full value cost.

What exactly would you expect? Them to just send you a new one and "hope" that you return your broken one? It's pretty standard policy when mailing out replacement parts/machines that they put a hold on your card for the value of the machine. You return your broken part/machine and they hold disappears.

Otherwise, how is Apple supposed to get their defective part back? If they didn't put the hold eBay would be flooded with partly working machines that people just sell 'cause Apple just "sent them a new one, no questions asked".

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
While I agree about the predicament, I highly doubt the OP should have just been given a $400 better computer on the spot. Name me another computer manufacturer who has that policy?

The only reason the OP wasn't given a new machine instantly was that the stores don't stock the lower-end 4GB configs. (I know, I have the same model and had to salivate for a week waiting for it to arrive from China).

So, while I agree that 7-days w/o your machine is not acceptable, this is a fairly specific situation - CTO models that aren't stocked in store going dead.

For the other (I'm only guessing here) 70%+ of people who buy stock models from Apple (Online and B&M) would have walked out moments later with a new machine.

What exactly would you expect? Them to just send you a new one and "hope" that you return your broken one? It's pretty standard policy when mailing out replacement parts/machines that they put a hold on your card for the value of the machine. You return your broken part/machine and they hold disappears.

Otherwise, how is Apple supposed to get their defective part back? If they didn't put the hold eBay would be flooded with partly working machines that people just sell 'cause Apple just "sent them a new one, no questions asked".

7 days without a machine is unacceptable. They have those items in warehouse. When I buy apple products, I pay for their quality and service and I would expect more. If you run any kind of business, it is best to realize that you need to work with Customer as best as possible. I don't think Apple did a great job by making customer wait for 7 days.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada

huh?

they take a credit card and charge it if it does not return.....

you let companies charge your card after sending a defective product?

wow....

you need a lesson on consumer rights, you may let companies drive over you with a steam roller....but i sure as hell dont, they screw me i call my credit card company, prove the product does not work and they will deal with it.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
wow....you need a lesson on consumer rights, you may let companies drive over you with a steam roller....but i sure as hell dont, they screw me i call my credit card company, prove the product does not work and they will deal with it.

If you have every intent on sending back the defective product, what risk do you have letting Apple or any other company place a hold on your credit card for a rush-shipped replacement order?

Remember, *you're* the one who's demanding an overnight solution, so you have to play by their rules. It isn't like they did not offer to fix it, but you're telling them I need a replacement ASAP. If you don't like their solution, return your defective product for a full refund and buy something else. No one is forcing you to buy an Apple product.

By placing a hold, Apple avoids having to chase you down for the replacement. If they don't take a hold, they run the risk of future chargebacks, etc since there's no order initiated by the customer tied to the replacement. If you've worked anywhere close to retail, you know how big of a liability this is for the business.

My entitlement siren is still going off :) everyone decided to sidestep whether they expect the same treatment when they are faced with a 3 day repair for their car, refrigerator, etc all things we don't like living without just like a laptop. When you come up with a reason why it's different, I'll be waiting.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I don't think Apple did a great job by making customer wait for 7 days.

The OP didn't wait, they cut him a half price deal on the next upgrade. Did you miss that part? :rolleyes:

huh?

they take a credit card and charge it if it does not return.....

you let companies charge your card after sending a defective product?

wow....

Actually Apple does do this, not sure why this wasn't an option for the OP at the time. When my iMac was defective and approved for an upgrade exchange Apple just emailed me a waiver to sign that I would promise to return the defective machine within 30 days or they would charge my credit card. This way I could have the new model first before shipping out the defective one.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
If you have every intent on sending back the defective product, what risk do you have letting Apple or any other company place a hold on your credit card for a rush-shipped replacement order?

Remember, *you're* the one who's demanding an overnight solution, so you have to play by their rules. It isn't like they did not offer to fix it, but you're telling them I need a replacement ASAP. If you don't like their solution, return your defective product for a full refund and buy something else. No one is forcing you to buy an Apple product.

By placing a hold, Apple avoids having to chase you down for the replacement. If they don't take a hold, they run the risk of future chargebacks, etc since there's no order initiated by the customer tied to the replacement. If you've worked anywhere close to retail, you know how big of a liability this is for the business.

My entitlement siren is still going off :) everyone decided to sidestep whether they expect the same treatment when they are faced with a 3 day repair for their car, refrigerator, etc all things we don't like living without just like a laptop. When you come up with a reason why it's different, I'll be waiting.

great points....Not my problem...i always get my own way thanks to mastercard.

you dont let companies walk over you,you would have no issues.

sad how many people let companies walk all over them....i pity them.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
The OP didn't wait, they cut him a half price deal on the next upgrade. Did you miss that part? :rolleyes:

Actually Apple does do this, not sure why this wasn't an option for the OP at the time. When my iMac was defective and approved for an upgrade exchange Apple just emailed me a waiver to sign that I would promise to return the defective machine within 30 days or they would charge my credit card. This way I could have the new model first before shipping out the defective one.

yup, i always used to do that with my machines in my business and personal....last month that has changed, i had to go to customer relations and threaten to do a charge back to get someone to recognize the issue.

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
This is one of reasons Apple hasn't made inroads into more business sales. My company buys all Dell equipment with next day on-site service and Dell charges less for the coverage than Apple does for their AppleCare warranty. Given the billions in profit Apple makes ever month they should spend some of it on better warranty service. In many cases it takes up to a week to get an appointment at the Genius Bar and then takes time away from the office to boot. Dell will send a service tech to your office and fix most issues right in the cubicle next to you - versus you standing at a counter in a crowded store waiting for a diagnosis.

Come on Apple - you need to offer a Business Class Service plan alongside the consumer version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.