MBA dies right after it's sold on eBay

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kinkster, Jun 16, 2009.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

This morning my Rev. A Macbook air sold on ebay.

Later today, I had been ripping a DVD and the kernal task process went crazy and started using most of the processor's capacity, so of course things ground to a halt and I had to hard reset by holding down the power button.

Now it won't boot into OSX. After the grey screen with the apple logo, it flashes blue and has another of the circular status ring(what should I call that?). It won't get past there.

I do have a boot camp partition and it works fine. So yeah I could probably reinstall OSX, but I'd rather not lose all my files..

iv also got a flight to catch tomorrow morning so it's pretty critical that I get this fixed tonight. any help would be appreciated

2. RebornKillah macrumors newbie

I hate to say it....but...It sounds like your hard drive crashed. Do you have an external drive that you can boot from? If so, I would try that and if not, your are out of luck. Seeing as you have to send it away, I do not think you have time for someone to try and recover anything off of it. If the information is critical and cannot be replaced, I would contact the eBay buyer.

3. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luckily I don't think any of it's critical. I only use my computer for casual stuff, mostly on the net.

Does hard drive crash simply mean I need to reinstall or is it damaged to the point where that wouldn't work?

4. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I see the OSX install has an "archive and Install" option that would take all my files and put them in a separate directory. Pretty clever but I doubt I have time for it to copy all that and then for me to delete it later.