Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chancee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'm trying to decide between getting a Macbook Pro or the Air, and the decision basically all comes down to the screen. I know they're the same size screens, but is one better than the other?

The new Macbook Pro supposedly has an enhanced color gamut, etc. Whereas, I've heard the Air's display is brighter. Can anyone who's used both please comment on this?

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
I'm trying to decide between getting a Macbook Pro or the Air, and the decision basically all comes down to the screen. I know they're the same size screens, but is one better than the other?

The new Macbook Pro supposedly has an enhanced color gamut, etc. Whereas, I've heard the Air's display is brighter. Can anyone who's used both please comment on this?

I've had both, and while I think the MBP looks slightly "better" in terms of color, I would say I prefer the MBA because the absence of glass makes it much less "glary".

The thing of which to be aware with the MBA is that many of the displays on the Rev Bs and Cs (the only MBAs you should be considering) have faint greyish lines all over the screen. I've only ever seen ONE Rev B without the lines.

The point is, you're much more likely to get a MBP with a good screen.

dudup

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
Both screens are awesome, but I do prefer the MBA because it's way less glossy and its quite usable with 50% brightness under office lighting -- the glass on the MBP will require you to crank the brightness all the way up under the same conditions -- that's my personal experience.

breakfast

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
I'm a new user of the Macbook Air. I've had it for three days and I've been using it a lot ever since. Still trying to get used to it and Apple's OSX in general. Well, ...

One thing I really don't like and feel disappointed about is the screen. Not that the display is not bright or crisp enough. No. The problem is that you just can't tilt the screen back enough. The angle is not right for me. When I sit and have the Air on my lap I have a hard time with items or text on the lower part of the screen. I keep wanting to move the screen backwards but I just can't because of the small angle allowed by the MBA hinges (a little over 90°).

The only solution I found is lifting the keyboard up some so that the screen comes down. Looks stupid though when you sit at the Airport gate with the sleek MBA halfway over your belly. Especially typing is a pain in the butt that way. Did I mention that it looks stupid, too?

Anyone else with that problem?

edit:
I forgot to say that the MBP is free of that angle limitation, as its screen can be tilted down much much further. Definitely a plus!

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
My Rev A MBA had the best screen (better than my uMBP 13). I have to make sure brightness is down on the MBP as eyes get tired from the high contrast ratio. There is a theory that the black bezel against the white display makes the eye work harder.

Strange the OP isn't considering battery life. The paltry 2.5 hrs of real use on MBA was fail.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I'm a new user of the Macbook Air. I've had it for three days and I've been using it a lot ever since. Still trying to get used to it and Apple's OSX in general. Well, ...

One thing I really don't like and feel disappointed about is the screen. Not that the display is not bright or crisp enough. No. The problem is that you just can't tilt the screen back enough. The angle is not right for me. When I sit and have the Air on my lap I have a hard time with items or text on the lower part of the screen. I keep wanting to move the screen backwards but I just can't because of the small angle allowed by the MBA hinges (a little over 90°).

The only solution I found is lifting the keyboard up some so that the screen comes down. Looks stupid though when you sit at the Airport gate with the sleek MBA halfway over your belly. Especially typing is a pain in the butt that way. Did I mention that it looks stupid, too?

Anyone else with that problem?

edit:
I forgot to say that the MBP is free of that angle limitation, as its screen can be tilted down much much further. Definitely a plus!

I don't think this "angle limitation" is a factor for 99% of MBA Owners ...

The MBA screen is easier on the eyes, no glare like the glass screen MBP's, Apple should of made all their screens like the MBA's.

Further the MBP screen is not usalbe outside on a bright/sunny day, the MBA screen is great outside or in.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.