MBA Display Problem when cold

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calibra2001, Jan 8, 2010.

1. calibra2001 macrumors newbie

My MBA has starting playing up when its cold. I get vertical lines colored lines when its cold and impossible to use, I can just about make out where the pointer is within the lines (by spotting movement within the lines), but the display comes ok when its warmed up a bit. The processor seems to need to warm up something before the screen comes on then its fine, but seems to be getting worse.

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

How cold? Are we talking outside in the winter cold, or left overnight at room temperature and not yet leg-scorchingly hot cold?

3. calibra2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

just room temperature, it was in the van with me during a cold spell (inside a laptop bag, but it did feel very cold), the processor now requires to do alot of work so the fan comes on for about 5 mins before the screen comes to proper life

Attached Files:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Your computer has the following environmental requirements:

If it never got below those temperatures, there's no reason it should be acting up. You certainly do have a hardware problem, though. Is it under warranty?

5. calibra2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Warranty run out last August, it had a new logic board fitted 13 months ago, but obviously the warranty on that has run out too, I have been quoted for a new screen fitted which it could be or a new logic board fitted. Either price is over a 1/3 of the price of a new MBA

I was thinking of maybe doing the screen myself if it is that where the fault lies. But was hoping to pinpoint it before trying that.

I would guess that the temperature has been down near freezing 0ºC a few times :(