Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Coming from the all-glass, all-heft MBP, I've been pleasantly surprised with the MBA display. I'm actually typing with a window behind me and the screen slightly diffuses the light to make it much less distracting. It's so much more useful in the "real world", carrying it around places and using it at a Starbucks where there may be light coming in the window. I was worried as people say the screen doesn't have the contrast or richness of the MBP, but I actually think the total package makes it a better screen to use.

lionmanpt

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2011
Coming from the all-glass, all-heft MBP, I've been pleasantly surprised with the MBA display. I'm actually typing with a window behind me and the screen slightly diffuses the light to make it much less distracting. It's so much more useful in the "real world", carrying it around places and using it at a Starbucks where there may be light coming in the window. I was worried as people say the screen doesn't have the contrast or richness of the MBP, but I actually think the total package makes it a better screen to use.

Although I do agree that the MBA screen tends to be more glossy and therefore less reflective than the MBR, I just feel the color saturation of the MBA to be terrible.

It may sound strange but that is THE main point that makes me think twice about buying an MBA. Is this a problem just for me or does anyone share this opinion ?

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Although I do agree that the MBA screen tends to be more glossy and therefore less reflective than the MBR, I just feel the color saturation of the MBA to be terrible.

It may sound strange but that is THE main point that makes me think twice about buying an MBA. Is this a problem just for me or does anyone share this opinion ?

Color saturation/reproduction is not really a priority or concern to me. I've seen the PLS screen on the Series 9 and was definitely WOWed by it, would be nice to have it on the Air but I certainly didn't expect it. What I expect was ultra portability, decent battery life, awesome trackpad, and a great OSX user experience. That's what I pay for and expect to receive, and it met all my needs at an acceptable price point. I can certainly tell the colors are a bit bland, and I am ok with that. Text is not as sharp as it's on the iPad 3, but that's certainly expected. Be realistic about what you pay for and what you get and there won't be any surprises. In the end if you are really disappointed there's always the 14 day refund policy.

I have an iMac and iPad 3 with great screens, but I can say I am still quite enjoying using my Air. It's the total package that amazes me more than anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.