MBA Dual Boot 128 or 256

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by michaelsviews, Jan 7, 2016.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Dual Boot into Linux not Windows

I'm looking at refurbished MBA's and 8 GB is a definite but would you get 128 or 256 for the SSD?
    I'm also guessing that the base processor would be fine I5

Its mainly for email web python and thats about it.

Thank you

2. quackers82 macrumors 6502

I would get the 256GB. I have VMWare running on my Air and hard disk space is the first thing i run out of before RAM. 128GB fills up very quickly now.

3. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok but I'm wondering if the VMware package along with the OS your loading into it is taking up allot of space?

4. quackers82 macrumors 6502

A VMWare image would take up the same space as it would if it was dual boot. The only extra space needed is for the VMWare application but thats just a few hundred MB's.

I run a few Linux servers at work and you might be ok with Linux generally having a much smaller install compared to Windows, but for my self the 128GB is just to tight now.

5. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

I did find a link to steps for installing linux mint on the MBA, same size SSD, seems to work.

Debating now on whether to keep it or go with a 13" MBPr. I know as soon as I buy something with in a few months apple will release some newer and better. Really like to see a 15" MBA with retina but that battery will not last as long I would think. 21" iMac Retina , nice, really nice computer / display

Thanks for your input I appreciate it

6. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

If you'll run just one VM, you could probably make do with 128 GB.

However, I found it all quickly adds up. First of all, the OS will make swap files and a hibernation file. That eats about ten gigabyte.

Then I've installed MS Office, 5 gigs. Music 25 gigs, photos 30 gigs and Xcode also about 20 gigs. My download folder is also 5 gigs. Chrome browser its cache balloons easily to 2 gig. If you use Apple Mail in combination with a gmail account, it'll insist on downloading all mail locally (no setting to avoid this). As you'll notice, it adds up.

Personally I've regretted getting the 128 gig disk especially since there's no upgrade path.

7. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for the detailed reply could not agree with you more. I don't use all the apps you use, I've decided to return the Air and go for the 13" MBPr , now I'm deciding on 128 or 256 SSD, as I don't keep everything on the computer, I use the heck out of the cloud for pictures and music , I only load the application's which will not be that much. On a previous MBP w/256 SSD I had the OS , all pictures music and youtube videos I had downloaded and was still only using 60 gig. This is kinda going to be an in between machine that may last for a year to two years. I figure also that if I get the 128 and download everything and if its that close I'll go 256, we have portable drives that are allot cheaper than paying 200 dollars for going from 128 to 256 to apple:rolleyes:

Thank you very much for the reply

p.s. Trying to keep the cost down

8. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Reading back, my previous post reads as though I'm trying to convince everyone to take 256 gigs. But I really meant to give an idea of size usage per app. And it seems you won't use the MBA like that :)

Yes and there's a number of options too. USB sticks have gotten very small physically, and Transcend sells an SD card that is small enough to just leave into the card slot.