MBA early '14 good for basic syntax programming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cjfreeze918, Oct 28, 2014.

1. cjfreeze918 macrumors newbie

Hello Mac Forum Members!

Time and time again I find myself on this site but never have became a member till today so wooohoo!

Ok down to bizznass. I am looking for a mac to code basic to moderate level java ....using eclipse (adobe flash builder) for an intro to computer graphics programing course for college, and need to know if the 2014 MBA (i5 and not sure on the ram, prob 4 gb) is a good choice to buy for 540 bucks from the pawnshop in my town of oklahoma. I have an imac i7 3.4ghz at home so I just need something for class to work on and then carry my work from there to the main computer at zeeh house.

Sooo any suggestions comments on better machines for the price range of 600 bucks? is the 2014 MBA better than lets say the MB normal mid range 2008-2010 for editing, programing, photoshop as i work in the media dept.? Cause I have no idea for computer gaming programing.

Thanks!!

Cj

2. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

You'll probably be OK with an MBA for occasional or light programming, but if you're spending hours at a time, you'll find the iMac a lot more comfortable.

I would get 8GB for Java apps - once you load up a big IDE like Eclipse, IntelliJ, JDeveloper etc, and run a couple of Java app servers you'll find yourself short of memory. I have an i7 MBA with 8GB and I'm thinking of upgrading to a rMBP so that I can run more VMs - but it it's not your main machine for heavy work, the MBA is a great choice.

3. cjfreeze918 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool!

Thank you for your advice, I am currently using an I mac mid 2011 i7 so it works great!-Cj