MBA external monitor issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Positive Light, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Positive Light macrumors newbie

Hi -

Long time PC user, first time Mac owner and I've hit an issue that hopefully one you can help with. :)

I hook up a Samsung LCD to my MBA via the Mini DVI cable and everything works great. However, when I unhook the cable (regardless of whether the Mac is on/off), the Mac doesn't pick up that it is now only on a single display, when opening apps (say Firefox), and opens them as if they were on the secondary monitor (so I can only see the very left hand edge). I can't imagine that I would need to minimize or drag the window to the MBA display prior to unplugging the cable, every single time...?

The only work around I have been able to find is drop the display resolution to 8x6 and grab the edge of the window and drag it over. I've tried "Detect Displays", restarting and other "tinkering" to no avail.

Thanks for the help
    -b

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Call Apple.

If this is a new Mac, you may still have the warranty, if not Apple will probably help you anyways. I would call them to get this fixed.

Does it do this on every external monitor?
    Have you tried using the DVI and VGA adapter?

As far as getting open windows on your screen, you could enable spaces, and drag a window from the "external display" to your main screen. (Note: you will have to make your Mac screen the main display for this to work.)