MBA + external monitor + open display issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mpts, Jan 23, 2012.

1. mpts macrumors member

I used to have an older MBA and MBP with an external Samsung monitor attached to it. I have no idea if that's the OS is the reason, but under Leopard I could attach the screen while closed, wake the MBA with an external mouse/keyboard so the external monitor would show up. Then I could open the MBA (for cooling reasons) without having the display on the MBA to turn on as well.

Now I have the latest generation of MBA with Lion, same setup, but I cannot do so anymore and I cannot find a setting to change it back to as it was. So everytime I open the MBA it will turn on its display, which is annoying because I only want to work on one screen.

Anyone knows a solution to this??
    Thanks!!

2. dlim macrumors regular

From what I know, Lion made those changes for whatever reason. If you search the forums (sorry I don't remember where I saw it exactly) there've been posts where people have come up with solutions, whether they went through terminal or something about placing magnets on where the sensor is?

I say all that to let you know there's no box you can simple "check" or "uncheck" in system preferences.

BUT many users use their MBA's in clamshell mode (including me) and do not have any irregular heating issues vs. if they were to have left it open. The heat leaves from the back of the MBA, not through the keyboard as some would insist. Therefore, there should not be any difference in how hot your MBA gets with the display open vs. being closed.

3. mpts thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Well then, I guess I just won't mind after all. And even if, then there is the Apple warranty, right ;)

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If you're going to have to have the screen opened, why not just use the pixels on it ?

Added real-estate is always welcome. I think this rational is behind the decision to simply automatically turn on the screen in Lion.