MBA External superdrive question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Agent Smith, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Agent Smith

Hi everyone,

I've looked around for an answer, but finding none I thought I'd ask the experts. I have a friend whose superdrive in their MacBook (first edition) went on the fritz. Rather than buying a new drive for approx. $150, I was wondering if the drive inside the external MacBook Air superdrive would do as a replacement? I figure cracking open the external superdrive is worth saving $50, but only if I can use that drive inside the MacBook. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. w00tini macrumors 6502a

i was told by the Genius bar guys that the MBA drive only works with the MBA.

3. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

That is true, but only because its USB port draws a non standard ammount of power. The OP is asking about taking it apart and putting the drive into a laptop as a replacement for a broken drive. I dont know if that would work, I wouldnt bet on it though.

4. qpid macrumors regular

It has nothing to do with drawing a non-standard amount of power, but the fact that the firmware in the superdrive only works with the mba.

5. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

The External Superdrive draws a much higher voltage then a normal USB port can provide. No matter what firmware is on it, it isnt going to work on a standard USB port.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The MacBook uses a slimmer drive than the drive in the MBA's superdrive (like the 17" MBP), so regardless of whether of not in works in it, it wont fit.

7. Agent Smith thread starter macrumors 6502

Agent Smith

Thanks for your input everyone! I figured that it was too hairbrained an idea to work, but I thought I'd ask just in case. :p

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I know it's a long shot.... but have you tried eBay?
    And... does it need to be Apple branded? A non-Apple drive would work fine but certain iApps won't... therefore if your using Toast or some other 3rd psrty burner it'll still work.

For a MB & MBP you need a drive with a 9mm thickness, the standard 12mm units won't fit right... the top case won't close.

9. qpid macrumors regular

It does not draw a higher voltage, gizmodo and engadget both disproved that with their reviews, and i think ars did also. the specs on the mba show the standard 5v draw for usb