Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orthogonal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
San Francisco
My newly purchased MBA typically runs with exhaust fan speed around 2500rpm, but periodically will run up to 6000rpm+
I'm not running any apps which I would consider to be making the machine run hot.
Any ideas?
S

buckawheat

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Pretty normal

Since the updates in Oct/nov, they seem to have set the fan to be more sensitive so it starts up much earlier keeping the temperatures cooler.

It will usually rev to 6000 for me when viewing youtube, flash video, copying large data sets over USB or running the verify/repair permissions as examples.

The good news is that the processor temp is now 10 - 20 C lower than it used to be before the fans would rev up.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
My newly purchased MBA typically runs with exhaust fan speed around 2500rpm, but periodically will run up to 6000rpm+
I'm not running any apps which I would consider to be making the machine run hot.
Any ideas?
S

Search forum for smc fan control + the apple script that limits fan. I lock mine to 3500rpm, barely audible and my temp doesn't go past 70ºC on YT. When I see the temp is too high for a long period of time, the applescript puts it back to 6000rpm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.