MBA for a Christmas Gift

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dmw16, Oct 20, 2014.

1. dmw16 macrumors regular

There doesn't seem to be much news on MBA updates. I am thinking of getting my wife one for Christmas. Are there updates coming that are going to be must-haves?

She doesn't know Broadwell from Snackwell so I don't think a new chipset is compelling. Retina displays maybe, but even that wouldn't really do much for her if it makes the thing a lot more expensive.

So are there must-have updates from a basic user experience coming?

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Can't imagine there would be. Ultimately even new processors or a retina screen wouldn't be a game-changing difference from the current models.

Only real game-changer I can think of would be a touchscreen, and I'd be surprised if Apple started doing that in the next couple years.

MBA is a good laptop, full stop.

3. dmw16 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I agree it's a good machine. She has a 4 or 5 year old 15" MBP that's been really good, but due to the EFI firmware issue she can't update it anymore (she's still on OS10.5).

She doesn't want (me) to spend $2300 on a retina, but likes having a 15" screen. I think she's basically settled that if you can't have a 15" screen she may as well gain the portability of the Air.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I would say get the current MBA. Doesn't look like anything really new coming to the Air line anytime soon. I went from a retina pro to the 13 Air and have no regrets. I'm sure she'd love it.