MBA for playing 1080p to tv questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fegge1, Jul 25, 2011.

1. fegge1 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of buying my first mac and I'm thinking it will be a MacBook Air. I have not settled on which one to get (11" or 13") but I'm leaning towards the 13" one. I'm planing on hooking it up to my TV via minidisplay -> HDMI and i was wondering will it play 1080p high bit rate videos smoothly, and secondly, would you say its worth getting an i7 upgrade for this purpose?

I asked in the apple store and they didn't recommend me buying and Air for this purpose but while researching it on the net it seems like the Air can play 1080p smoothly so I'm confused. They also said i will not be able to return an opened package so i cant buy it and try it out so i would like to hear from some one who has one.

Thanks in advance!

2. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

The Air will play 1080p smoothly, the processor is strong enough, and with 4GB ram it will handle it very well. It might get a little louder after an extended period of playtime due to the fans spinning faster, but it's bearable.
    As for the i7, i don't think you will need it for your described task.

The guys in the store probably just wanted to convince you into buying a more expensive MacBook pro or something.

I think you should just go ahead with a base 13" Air. And if it shouldn't suit you after all, you have 14 days to return it, in case you order online.