MBA for University use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pctomac2011, Mar 6, 2011.

1. pctomac2011 macrumors member

Hi All,

I have recently bought a 15" MBP (newest model), however due to the weight, I am having regrets. I'm seriously considering returning it, and grabbing a MBA..

I've recently decided to go back to school, and will be primarily using it for internet browsing, writing articles, and other simple tasks, with maybe the occasional game (low requirements on the appstore, like iphone mini games).

I do love the MBP.. but the weight has me worried, carting it back and forth to the university and home..

Any university students past/present that could comment? If I did go the MBA route, it seems to be cost wise, it would make more sense to grab the MBA 11" ? The 13" model, seems to me I might as well just go for the low-end MBP 13" (given the weight/price ratio).

Thanks for the help!

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I am one of these sad people that has both a MBP (15") and a Rev C MBA. Actually, I bought the MBP in 2008 as a birthday present to myself, and loved it. However, I never got to use it as much as I had planned, as, within five months, I was asked to work abroad in a Windows only environment, and was supplied with computers both by my Govt and the international organisation for which I worked, meaning my almost new MBP sat at home little used.

As it happens, I travel a lot, and last September I treated myself to a MBA. Since then, this is the only computer that has travelled anywhere with me. The MBP stays at home. So, if weight is a primary issue (and you are not a gamer, or graphics student, and don't need all of this "heavy lifting"), I'd suggest that you go for the MBA. It's a great machine, and I find I'm using it most of the time, even when I'm at home.

Cheers

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I downsized from a 15" to 13" and weight difference makes a big difference when carrying it around all day. I think the 11" MBA will be too small so i went with the MBP 13"

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

A question has to be ask is what are you using you laptop for.

University use sadly is not very relevant. I use my laptop for University use the type of stuff I do on it hammers the processor as there is a huge amount of data structure programing work done on it and a single test of some of these programs can take over 20 mins long and my i7 is about 20% faster than others i5 and I can crank out 2-3 test at the same time with out effecting the run time as I can put each one on its own core leaving me 1 core for the OS and it has marginal effect on the run time (my turbo boost gets reduced a little but I have 3 separate test codes going and then I use which one is the best. My i5 friends can not pull that off.

Just an example of how it is not always relevant saying university use. You could be doing CS major like me and need the horse power for programing. Or another person who needs the screen space. Honestly I think I would hate going down to a 13in screen or smaller for my coding work as well. Losing room to store the tool boxes for the IDE's I use would make my life a pretty big pain as well.

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Agreed, for coding a 13" is too small, I hook up to an external display. You just can't fit everything on the screen. But for day to day just general work I strongly recommend the 13".

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have a 15 in dell laptop that I hook up to my 17 external when I am at home and dual screen it but I still often time work on code at school between class so a larger screen is a nice bonus there.