MBA from Best Buy - 11" or 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CharlieBrandt09, Feb 11, 2014.

1. CharlieBrandt09 macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

So I am in the market for a MBA, and it needs to be from Best Buy. I have a $150 off coupon from there, plus some gift cards.

I would love to wait to see if there is a substantial refresh, but the coupon expires in April.

For the same price ($5 difference) I can go 11 with 8GB and 256 or 13 with 4GB and 256.

My use for the MBA will be general computing, light office work, web browsing and email, watching videos and some photo editing.

I will keep the video editing to the iMac.

Suggestions?

2. simsaladimbamba

There will be no substantial update until Q3 2014 or even later.

As for what to get, that is up to you, but the more RAM, the better.

3. CharlieBrandt09 thread starter macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

I was thinking the same thing. The 11" also has a bump in the processor if that matters.

4. Meister, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

I think it boils down to the screensize you like.
    11" is more portable but tiny screen. Everything else will be fine for your use.

5. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    go with the 11" - criticisms of it come only from those who don't own one.
    I came off a 15" rMBP - and it's the best move I've ever made.
    screen size is fine!

for your stated usage, I'd be going with the base model (saving $) especially if you still have your iMac for video editing.
    when you look at some 'geekbench' results, you'll see just how fast the base 11" is compared to other models in the range

6. robvas macrumors 68020

I've owned a few 11" Airs, not even screen real estate for programming.

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

not true. i just sold mine that i had bought new in 2010. it's a "cute/little machine" but the 13inch real estate makes that machine so much better.

8. CharlieBrandt09 thread starter macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

With all these varying opinions, now I am really on the fence. I will have to go to the store and test each one out. Only thing is, the upgraded 11" model is not in Best Buy stores...yet. My local Apple Store is a PITA to get to, even though its not too far.

9. steveh552 macrumors regular

Best thing is to look at them. I was unsure what to get and ended up with a 13 rMBP this past sat, I was on the mend of size but side by side I seen it was not as huge a difference as I thought but personally I think 11 is to small

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Test drive them both - it'll help you make a decision.

11. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Since you already have an iMac, go with 11"/8GB combo. You can always hook up an external monitor if you need a bigger display.

12. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I had a 2011 13" MBA and liked it a lot. But I upgraded to 2013 11" MBA and like it even more. While the specs may not seem that different, when you look at them side by side you'll see that the 11" model is significantly smaller and lighter. It is the perfect machine for travel and I also really like the 16:9 screen for watching movies.

At home, I use a big screen and external keyboard for "serious" work, so the screen isn't a factor. On the road, I want the smallest, lightest most powerful machine available and the 11" MBA fits that perfectly. Battery life is also very impressive.

13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

That makes no sense lol. He already has an iMac

14. Ann P macrumors 68020

For your use, and seeing as you already have several iPads, the 13" would be perfect.

15. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

I have a 11 and 13 MBA. Since getting the 11 MBA I have not looked back. The 11 MBA is a dream come true. At home I use it with an external HP monitor.

16. Anthony81586 macrumors regular

I have the 11" with 8GB and 256 SSD. I came off a 2011 15" MBP...this little machine is awesome! Go with the 11"

17. CharlieBrandt09 thread starter macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

18. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

As an owner of a 13in from 2011, let me throw in my thoughts, in case there hasn't been enough conflicting advice. :D

As to screen size, look at them both. If you are SURE you can live with the 11 inch, take screen size out of the equation. I can't handle smaller than the 13" version, but my vision isn't what it once was.

As to 4GB versus 8GB- there has never been a computer with enough memory. My 2011 has 4GB. It is adequate, and that is all. I'd love to have 8GB in mine.

Really, what it comes down to is what will work best for you- not me, nor anyone else venturing an opinion. Play a bit with both sizes, be critical as possible, and make your decision. They're both great machines for their intended purposes.

19. MacGeekAZ macrumors member

I'm also trying to decide whether to get the 11" or the 13". I have gone to the Apple store a couple of times to try them out. I think, assuming the 11" screen doesn't feel too small for the work you do on it, a lot of it comes down to what other gadgets you have. If you've got an iPad, and this would be your main computer, I'd get the 13". If you travel by air a lot, the 11" sounds good, although the 13" does get longer battery life.

I'm trying to decide between these two ideas:
    1) Macbook Air 11" is both my computer and "iPad"
    2) Macbook Air 13" is my computer for home and coffee shop use, and I still get an iPad sometime for my infrequent travel and to carry around in my purse.

20. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

What does not make sense to you? I recommended him to go with 11" since he already has an iMac. If he ever needs stuff on his 11" to be viewable on a bigger screen, he can hook up an external monitor. Does that make sense to you now?

21. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

Here's more to think about. Ladies can put a 11" MBA in a lot of those larger purses, if they wanted to. My wife's sole reason for changing from a regular iPad to a iPad mini was to be able to stuff it into even her smallest purse. For us guys, we get a whole new range of choices for carrying that thing, it'll fit where the 13" won't - may sound obvious of course, but it really does help that it can fit into spaces that the 13" cannot. It means you'll have it around more often.

I have an iPad and I don't think the iPad and the 11" MBA are interchangeable. I am considering getting the 11" again and I thought I'd sell my iPad to help offset the cost but there's too much I do on the iPad that I don't do/want to do on my laptops.

I think you'll end up wanting a laptop and an iPad at some point so you're probably solving a future problem now by getting the 11" + the iPad, and consider the mini, my wife says that it's the best purse device she's ever owned.

22. MacGeekAZ macrumors member

Since I'm a casual user (no video editing, design, etc.), you think the 11" will be big enough? I did like it when I tried it out in the store yesterday, but I keep going back to the 12 hour battery life on the 13" and doubting myself. I know even 9 hours is plenty for what I realistically would be doing. I just keep thinking, but 12 hours!! And I wonder if the 11" will seem too small. I guess I need to go back and play around with it again. I was hoping to order my computer on Friday.

23. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

so he's supposed to buy an external monitor to view stuff on bc the 11inch is too small...yet he has an iMac? lol

just buy the 13 :rolleyes:

24. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

It really depends on what you're doing and how bright you set the screen. In a darkened room at low brightness doing web browsing, MS Office, e-mail and watching ripped DVD's in iTunes I think you'll get about 12 hours (that's what the battery meter says). I run mine like this almost every evening and after 4 hours it says I still have over 70% battery.

Bringing mine on a flight to London soon and plan to watch my own movies the whole way but still have plenty of power left when I arrive. :) If you plan to carry your computer around a lot, the 11" is so much nicer; that's why I went from a 13" MBA to an 11".

25. MacLC macrumors 6502

The 11" has plenty of downsides.
    Lower resolution, lower battery life, etc. Most annoying for me is the lack of built-in SD card reader. I borrowed a friend's MBA for a trip (great friend :D ) but was annoyed to no end in having to get an external USB SD card reader which didn't fit in his custom MBA carrying bag. Speaking of carrying bags and cases, more generic choices are available for the 13" MBA.